imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2009, 02:35 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
In Overnight it said Duffy would have cast and final cut approval.
Interesting. I haven't seen "Overnight" in about 3 or 4 years now, but I thought I remembered the arguments with Weinstein being over casting? Or at least, partially over casting. But I did have to look up some reviews to recall certain details, so maybe those got it wrong.

Quote:
I think the biggest mistake Duffy made was keeping William Morris law firm. They also represented Weinstein. Who are they going to care about more Weinstein or Duffy? I'm wondering who was taking the offers at Canne. I mean Weinstien may run Miramax. But Miramax is no Warner Bros. or Paramount. There is bound to be other people in the movie biz that hate Weinstein. It's all about competition.
Absolutely, and I guess Chris Brinker was one of those people. But while Weinstein himself is a controversial figure in the business, his badmouthing of Duffy, combined with Duffy's own behavior, could have gone a long way. I mean, let's face it...isn't it pretty obvious by the way that Duffy behaves in the documentary that almost nobody in their right mind would want to give him a multi-million dollar budget to do with as he pleased?

Quote:
I heard the "Harvey Weinstein is afraid of me." but I didn't see or hear the phone call. Could've missed it.
I don't remember exactly where it was, but I do remember it. At least one review mentions it.

Quote:
Also The Matrix was released March 31st, Columbine happened April 20th. It had box office time.

Duffy said in the commentary they had their first preview screening 2 weeks after Columbine. He did say The Matrix and The Basketball Diaries were being played all the time in the news after it happened. I'm in no way trying to stick up for Duffy. He did somethings he shouldn't have done and he's paid it.

True, but the fact is, it was in theaters for a while (its original release was somewhat limited, if I recall) and gathered momentum through word of mouth. I remember "Time" compared the image of Keanu Reeves on the poster to the Columbine shooters, and still, that didn't hurt the movie's success at all.

I really don't think studios were shying away from shoot-em-up films that much, even after "Columbine". It still sounds to me way more like an excuse by Duffy, who has motive to deny that "Overnight" exists, let alone admit that he dug his own grave. As we agree, he did things he shouldn't done. He was an arrogant SOB, he didn't behave the way he needed to, and he forgot that getting an offer is only the first step to getting the movie made.

Anyway, I still wish him best of luck with the sequel, and hope he's learned his lessons.