imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 11-06-2009, 09:24 PM
ReverendTed

Default Video Game Standards

Howdy, all. I'm new around here, so I'm not going to take offense if someone knows better than I do about any of this.

IMFDB is a site that I'm thrilled to see exists, (Is it relatively new?) and the level of insight contained on some of the better-researched pages is appreciated, especially those that describe common "stand-ins" that movie armorers use for more difficult-to-obtain or expensive weapons.

Perhaps it's an issue that alleviates itself over time as more and more people participate (or perhaps it gets worse), but there seems to be a lack of standardization in the presentation of information, particularly in the Video Games category.

I think it might be worth considering a separate set of Rules, Standards and Principles for Video Game pages.
While (with some notable exceptions) guns in movies often serve as little more than instruments of the characters or simple props, guns in video games are often elevated to the levels of characters themselves, given whole sets of statistics and behaviors and considerable screentime. In some cases, they closely mirror real-life weapons, while in others they can exhibit subtle differences, significant departures from reality, or outright fictionalization.

It seems to be an (unwritten, as far as I can tell) policy that completely fictional weapons fall outside the purview of IMFDB, and I agree with that. There are simply so many completely "fake" guns in video games that meaningful inclusion of them would overwhelm the site's intended real-world content. Personally, I think this should be added as a written policy.

However, what of fictional guns that contain significant inspiration from real-world weapons? The example that comes to mind is a science-fiction weapon in Wolfenstein, of which the back half is taken from an MG42.
There's a parallel here with films like Blade Runner and the Star Wars saga where fictional weapons are depicted with descriptions of the real weapons used in their fabrication.

Several other issues complicate Video-game weapon pages:
- Which should come first, the in-game name or name of the real-life counterpart, and how should this be formatted? Obviously, I think both should be present.
- What is the recommended formatting for images? A single in-game image? An in-game image with a real-life counterpart shot? An additional image of the model when "dropped" for a full view? Menu images? This one seems tricky to me, since movies usually only provide a limited set of opportunities for most weapons, while games potentially allow a weapon to be seen in a menu, in hand, slung, in another player's hand, dropped, etc.
- Should there be mention or comparison of real vs in-game statistics? As much info as possible, or just mention of noteworthy similarities or departures?

Personally, I think it would be helpful for the admins\moderators to select (or set-up) and lock one or more examples of well-formatted video game pages as examples of how to best handle them. (In fact, that might be helpful for movies as well, though I see there is a rolling "featured" film on the front page.)

Since screencaps from movies are allowed, I trust screenshots from games are allowed as well? (For the games I might look to update, I'd anticipate capturing the shots myself.)

On a more general note, I've noticed a good deal of dispute\discussion on different film or firearm pages. Obviously, this is a problem for many wikis, but users should be educated on leaving discussion to discussion pages, and attempting to simple summarize the "current best information" on the page itself.
For instance:
Quote:
This weapon is a modified Stufftumbler 96.
-Beano24 - No, it isn't. It's an R73 Mk 2.
Based on the user's confidence, that should have been
Quote:
This weapon is either a modified Stufftumbler 96 or an R73 Mk 2.
or
Quote:
This weapon is an R73 Mk 2.
For clarification, what's the moderator\administrator opinion on hidden comments for disputed items?
That is to say, something like this that would only show up when attempting to edit the page:
Quote:
This weapon is a modified Stufftumbler 96.
<!-- NOTE: This is not an R73 Mk 2 - note the unicorn cutout on the receiver and shape of the Markel flange. See the discussion page. -->
As an aside, are forum avatars an "earned" privilege? I didn't see the ability to add one. Oop, nevermind. I see that only GM45 has one, I was thinking I'd seen more.

Last edited by ReverendTed; 11-06-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:00 PM

I think the Far Cry 2 page should be the standard.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Far_Cry_2

Yes, even the delicious humor.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:42 PM
ReverendTed

The Far Cry 2 page definitely had a lot of effort put into it, and the result is a very thorough treatment, but it does raise a couple of issues:

Most of the movies have nothing dedicated to the movie itself, instead jumping into a listing of the guns used in the film. The Far Cry 2 page dedicates a paragraph to the game itself before an additional "Overview" of how the game's weapon system works.
Is a game's overall weapon system noteworthy? If so, should it be listed at the beginning or end of the document?
If the game has noteworthy aspects or behaviors that are common to all or some of the game's weapons, should that be listed somewhere in the document?

How much is "enough" and how much is "too much" when it comes to documenting the operation of the weapons?

Personally, it seems like a brief description of the game's "wear and failure" system might have been more appropriate than images of each weapon worn, jamming, and failing.

Again, there's a double standard comparing video game articles to movie articles, but on the other hand they are significantly different in terms of how firearms are featured.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:25 PM

I think there should be a overview of the weapon system. But only when there is a weapon system.

The overview should be listed at the beginning of the article.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:42 PM

I agree; Video game standards need to be addressed.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 PM

As I said, the Far Cry 2 page should be the standard.

Now, if we could only get Vangelis back here.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
Now, if we could only get Vangelis back here.
oh gawd no, he's the one who insisted that this>

is this>
Old 11-07-2009, 10:45 PM

Yes. But he learned his lesson and was a very good user.

Anyway, I think we should have screencaps of all the animations.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:10 AM

Funny thing is that someone has made a page for the crappy Myspace/Facebook flashgame "Mafia Wars". I'm sorry but that game while occationally a fun little timewaster is not IMFDB class material. It's a bloody flashgame.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:54 AM
IMFDB Admin

At the risk of being controversial .... VG game page builders are usually lazy. Sorry guys. I can't count how many VG pages where the builder didn't even BOTHER to put in the Cover art, like we put in the movie poster. We don't have that problem with a lot of the Movie or Television pages. I don't touch the VG pages. But then I have a prejudice against pages in which there were no actual weapons present (only an artist's conception of one).

So the OP is right. There should be better standardization on VG pages. the tables are an ongoing process, and should be forgiven when mixed in with 'old style' lists. But you guys are on your own when it comes to VG pages. The pages should be done by guys who know the games inside and out. That precludes many of the good page makers on IMFDB.

Tags
rules, standards, video games