imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-21-2009, 12:04 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default My 1911

Check out my profile, I just uploaded some pictures of my custom 1911. It looks bad now, but a mil-spec rebluing is in its near future. Tell me what you guys think.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 AM

Let me just say that what I am about to say in no way reflects my opinion of you personall, because I do not know you personally, and that you as an individual have the right to do whatever you want to whatever you own or maintain. And now...... judgment.

Why did you build it on a 1913 frame, especially one with the finish gone like that? Kinda makes it look like you didn't take care of the thing, which probably isn't true, but it seems like that. Detail strip it, get some fine sandpaper or steel wool and some flitz and buff that out.

A modern nickel compensator on a near hundred year old pistol missing nearly half of it's finish? It might be functional but it's in terrible taste, man.

And last but not least, "Gladys". There's something that really REALLY irks me about making blatant movie references through extreme eclecticism. If you knew my online buddy K, you'd get me. Half the fun in naming a gun is actually giving it a name, not duct taping a name onto it from a REALLY popular movie. Might as well call it Cyberdine Systems Model 101 or Heath Ledger, at least those aren't as in-your-face.

NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF

I dig the retro A1 slide. The commercial ones, to me, always looked cooler with the "COLT" stamping on the right side and the bluing.

I can tell you know how to build your own gun, and that's pretty neat. I can detail mine too, and, if I had the tools that is, could probably do custom work on mine. They best I've done is install a wide spur hammer, and filed down both sears for a smoother trigger pull. Anyhow, that's good to know, for yourself I mean.

The mainspring housing cut is cool too, even if it's not in use. Extra cuts make any gun seem cool, even if not in use. Options, man, all about the options.

And, just because it's funny, I noticed on your left grip panel that you have left your fingermarks in it. Your perspiration has cleaned your grips... a little. Sucks that it murdered the front strap.

Anyhow, pretty cool, not my idea of a perfect pistol, but that's why it's yours not mine. I have my Springer for whatever the hell I want to do to a 1911.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:50 AM

well, i love a good 1911 and anything packing a .45 is my cup of tea, but this one...gets at me for some reason. I dont know why exactly, but i dont like the way this one looks. No offense to you, but i think the older look to the frame and the compensator dont really match up too well to me. Its a nice gun though
Old 05-21-2009, 01:33 AM

I like it, at least youd didn't go with the para ordnance double stack frame and colt slide idea lol
Old 05-21-2009, 01:44 AM
IMFDB Admin

My dad gave me the gun in the same condition you see it in now, so talk to him about the condition. I don't know where he got it, or who pieced it together, but it works. Rebluing it will probably make it look better. It's old, but it has sentimental value now because my dad "gave" it to me. Plus, the finish looks crappy but it kind of looks like a retro tutone look, and I like that.

The compensator was added to this 1911 because my dad didn't want me to ruin one of his .45s, since it had to be fitted. The original barrel bushing still fits the gun BTW, so I can swap them out whenever. Also, the stock is in use, just not in the picture because the 16" barrel is not within picture taking difference at the time.

No one will know what Gladys means in 10 years, few do now. Also, I got it from the graphic novel, before the movie came out. Plus, I justed liked the name, it is a very good .45 name IMO.

And I still plan on making the Para-Ordnance gun, I want a gun for carrying when I'm older and a 14 shot 1911 fits the bill for me, but I like Colt slides, so I still plan on making it.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:51 AM

Would those go together? And I think ill stick to nine rounds in a Dan Wesson CBOB.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:52 AM

I just saw that and posted on your talk, but I think it's the coolest thing ever. Something about that pairing of frame and slide w/ compensator...
I dunno. Really awesome stuff.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:04 AM
IMFDB Admin

I hope the slide and frame fit correctly. I plan to put the comp on that gun, since I'd reblue "Gladys" and keep her as a case gun as a personal piece. The Colt/Para would be the defense gun.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 AM

I should also add that I'm not a big fan of naming guns, but I don't see anything wrong with Gladys; it's a good name for a .45.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:35 AM

I hope whaterver department I join will allow 1911s on duty. Maybe a DW Valor or SA TRP on duty, and the CBOB off.