imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 12-05-2009, 03:56 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
At the risk of being controversial .... VG game page builders are usually lazy. Sorry guys. I can't count how many VG pages where the builder didn't even BOTHER to put in the Cover art, like we put in the movie poster. We don't have that problem with a lot of the Movie or Television pages. I don't touch the VG pages. But then I have a prejudice against pages in which there were no actual weapons present (only an artist's conception of one).
Actually, I agree, just couldn't bring myself to say so. A lot of our VG pages are in awful condition, and I kinda gave up hope on the category in general. Though definitely all aren't bad...the "Global Operations" page is coming out pretty well.

As for artists' conceptions of weapons, though, remember that many of the artists nowadays base their depictions of the weapons upon firearms that are supplied to them by professional armorers like yourself. Our own Steve Karnes has worked on several video games (including the "Call of Duty" franchise).
Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
As for artists' conceptions of weapons, though, remember that many of the artists nowadays base their depictions of the weapons upon firearms that are supplied to them by professional armorers like yourself. Our own Steve Karnes has worked on several video games (including the "Call of Duty" franchise).
That's a SMALL minority of the games. I'll wager that the majority of games have frankenguns based on a vague understanding of what an MP5 looks like. And then there's the lower end games which have the rectangle with the two handles that some IMFDB member will insist is a FNP90 with EOtech sight. The Vast majority of games don't bother asking the armorers. Which is why the weapons in so many games look weird.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I wouldn't be surprised if it became more of a trend in the future. Professional games by major development studios have huge budgets these days. For games that are supposed to realistic (in the loose sense of that word), having an armorer over is affordable and desirable.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:08 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it became more of a trend in the future. Professional games by major development studios have huge budgets these days. For games that are supposed to realistic (in the loose sense of that word), having an armorer over is affordable and desirable.
There's' what you think is reasonable ... and there is what actually happens in the industry. I have a lot of friends who work in the VG industry. It is rife with stupidity. The cool stuff only happens when a meddling middle manager gets fired as the result of a monumental battle between the people with talent and their bosses (who do not have any talent).

A minor digression back to the movie world:

The real world is shocking in it's incompetence. Which is why younger people are idealistic, and older people are cynical! LOL! We've seen the same stupid mistakes made by high level morons in our 20s. We've seen the same disasters in our 30s, by the time we get to our 40s, we've pretty much given up on the notion that idiots won't try to ruin everything good in the industry. We've seen these morons running things and are astounded that they get into all the HIGH LEVEL positions. They succeed off the backs of more talented people who toil at the lower levels, and still manage to screw things up.

Every script or movie that seems disastrous, .... the crew already KNEW it was a disaster when they were filming it. When no talent higher ups meddle constantly with a project, it is doomed.

I remember everyone wanting to be on Last Action Hero, because of the success of Terminator 2, but that was all Cameron, and he had control of the project. I remember how disappointed everyone one was (but they didn't say anything out loud, lest they lose the paycheck), when we saw the script. I didn't work on that one but I was friends with a bunch of the SFX crew. Boy was the crew making fun of the movie when it was being filmed. We all knew it was going to be a bomb.

I could tell you things about LXG
Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I could tell you things about LXG
Despite all the complaints about LXG from cast and crew (including those of Connery himself), I still don't think that movie was as bad as many said it was. Or at least, I don't think it was as retarded an idea as "Last Action Hero" obviously was.

Tags
rules, standards, video games