imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 10-19-2019, 03:48 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Guns with braces in movies

Is it me, or am I seeing a trend of movies and shows having guns with braces instead of them being stocks? I mean, prop guys can't be having trouble securing SBRs for movies, so why am I seeing arm braces in guns? I just saw Gemini Man and Will Smith has a Galil Ace with a brace on it...it bothers me

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-22-2019, 12:27 AM

Does he use it as a brace or as a stock?

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 10-22-2019, 04:32 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Is it me, or am I seeing a trend of movies and shows having guns with braces instead of them being stocks? I mean, prop guys can't be having trouble securing SBRs for movies, so why am I seeing arm braces in guns? I just saw Gemini Man and Will Smith has a Galil Ace with a brace on it...it bothers me

Can you post a photo? I'm not sure of what you're describing.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:11 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Does anyone use a brace as a brace? Like ever?
Old 10-23-2019, 12:52 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Does he use it as a brace or as a stock?
It doesn't matter. It's not a stock. It's jarring since I've seen Hawaii Five-0 do this and in John Wick 3 as well. Do these companies not have stocks for their guns or are they just being lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Can you post a photo? I'm not sure of what you're describing.
Here's a clip of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDrkOsyX-JA

It's a Galil Ace that takes AK mags, but it's the "pistol" variant, not the SBR because it has a brace attached. Or it can be the SBR variant but they were too lazy to change the brace out for the proper stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Does anyone use a brace as a brace? Like ever?
I'm not going to admit anything other than I use my guns with braces to their full legal intended purposes

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Last edited by Excalibur; 10-23-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I'm not going to admit anything other than I use my guns with braces to their full legal intended purposes

As for Smith's Galil, he's using it as if it were a stock, so I'm guessing that's what it's passing for. As to why, I haven't the slightest. Maybe the braces are easier or cheaper to get? I haven't really looked into the price difference, TBH.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 10-23-2019, 04:36 AM
IMFDB Admin

You really think when the prop guys bought this gun, they didn't think to buy it with an actual stock?

Old 10-24-2019, 03:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

A few reasons spring to mind why they might have used it. Firstly, the braced guns are far more common than the SBRs. Although they are listed on the manufacturers site as being available in an SBR configuration, I imagine that in stores the vast majority are braced pistols as the demand for these is overwhelmingly higher. Maybe that was the only version that was available on short notice. Not sure I buy this though as you have to do a fair bit of gun-smithing to get it to fire blanks so I assume you could just swap the stock over whilst doing this if you wanted an SBR type.

A second potential reason is that it is part of a product placement deal. The braced pistol version is the version that people will actually buy rather than the SBR, so maybe IWI paid for that version to be used.

Normally SBRs and machine guns are not a legal problem for prop houses as I believe that they tend to be Type 7 FFL holders meaning that they can essentially manufacture anything excluding DDs. However, I think the scene in question was filmed on location in Columbia so that is a completely different story. Maybe they had to use the only version that was available locally or something.

Honestly, to the wider world it is a total non issue anyway. The vast majority of people would not even notice that this is a braced rather than a "real" stock.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:25 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Until this thread I hadn't even thought about it. Maybe folks in the movie industry just think the braces look cool? It reminds me of when the movie industry in the sixties and early seventies suddenly "discovered" the Mauser C/96 'Broomhandle' pistol. Mausers appeared in everything from spy stories to crime-dramas and westerns. They were everywhere and then ,just as quickly, faded away. Anyway that's my take.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Well, not sure I buy that a company paid to have a gun part designed by the civilian market for a particular film instead of just the base gun in general. I think since this is still a relatively new gun, having a base model of it shipped to Columbia for filming shouldn't be too hard considering other weapons used. Maybe it has something to do with gun laws in Columbia, but it doesn't make sense in John Wick 3 or Hawaii Five-0