imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 03-05-2009, 06:40 AM

Default New gun nut

Hey, all. I found IMFDB during a random search a few weeks or so back and I absolutely love it.

Anyhow, I registered as this seems like a good place to ask questions about firearms and such that I can't find during Internet searches.

I'm not in the military and can't join for medical issues. I'd joined another forum for the above reason, but many of the members and staff there were extremely hostile toward civilians. Hopefully this place is different.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

As long as you aren't one of those gamers that calls the Desert Eagle a DEagle, and know the difference between a clip and a mag, you'll be fine here. A lot of us here have that peeve about correct terms when it comes to guns.

One of my peeves is that some people think a "cool" looking AR-15 rifle is either a 416 or a REC7 (Calling it a Barret M468)) right away instead of looking closer.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-05-2009, 05:54 PM

Well You should fit in just fine here. All of us make a few mistakes here, when it comes to the Identification of weapons visually. Thankfully, There are other users who will help with correcting that sort of thing. Pretty soon you will be able to tell a Chinese from a Yugoslavian AKM.

As far as My Pet Peeve goes it's calling any version of the Armsel Striker a DAO-12. There Never has been a real life weapon by that name and the wording belongs on Battlefield 2. Unfortunantly you get a bunch of idiots who's only knowlege about Firearms is from a Videogame running across this site.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:18 PM
IMFDB Admin

My pet peeve is people who think big guns like shotguns or even .45s send you flying off your feet. People see it in movies so much they think it can really happen, and it CAN'T. So as long as you know thta fact, you're fine.

If you have any gun questions post them in the guns section and we'll help you to the best of our ability.

Ya damn civie!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:24 PM

My pet peeves are people who openly talk about their pet peeves, but keep that quiet.

Welcome, fellow gun-guy.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 PM
IMFDB Admin

Ha, ha, ha.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
As long as you aren't one of those gamers that calls the Desert Eagle a DEagle, and know the difference between a clip and a mag, you'll be fine here. A lot of us here have that peeve about correct terms when it comes to guns.
That I am, on both points.
Quote:
One of my peeves is that some people think a "cool" looking AR-15 rifle is either a 416 or a REC7 (Calling it a Barret M468)) right away instead of looking closer.
Me, too. Just because the 416 and REC7 were made, it doesn't necessarily mean the M4 (of which I'm a big fan of) has entirely disappeared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Well You should fit in just fine here. All of us make a few mistakes here, when it comes to the Identification of weapons visually. Thankfully, There are other users who will help with correcting that sort of thing. Pretty soon you will be able to tell a Chinese from a Yugoslavian AKM.
That I can also do (the Chinese Type 56 has an integral folding spike bayonet, for one ). Thank you, Jane's Gun Recognition Guide (or something along that name).

My main pet peeve is the HK XM8 in general. Some people (not me) say the M16 looks like a toy, but the XM8 takes that and multiplies it 100X. Seeing it in so many video games as the new "standard" US infantry combat weapon irks me the most.
In fact, IMFDB helped me win a long-standing argument with someone about whether the XM8s in "xXx 2" were real or not. I'm pretty much the only person I know personally that spotted the folding stocks on them...

Last edited by Spartan198; 03-07-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

Don't use Jane's Recognition Guides, I own one (Vol. 5) and they SUCK! You can note a Norinco Type 56 most easily by its hooded (or circle for simplicity) sight, and milled reciever. There are plenty other recognition techniques but never just use the folding bayonet as one, other AKs have folding bayonets too.

MT2008 made the xXx 2 page and noted that, or did you change it to note that?

It's funny, an XM8 is a G36 in a new plastic shell and that's exactly how they made them look like XM8s in xXx 2.

Just read the site pages and the comments on the professionally made user pages and it'll eventually become easier. Making pages is good practice. After the users tell you you're doiing it wrong enough, eventually you get it right (I went through the same process at first). Before you know it, you'll be another pro who knows all the site regulations, etc., etc.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

GunMaster is right. I catch mistakes in gun recognition guides (Jane's included) all the time, and I'm far from what anyone would call an "expert". At this point, IMFDB is becoming WAY better than Jane's for noting differences in guns, which is why many of our gun pages are so popular (in the case of the 1911 page, moreso than any movie page!) Even if we're not perfect, we still have limitless potential to improve, unlike any printed guide.

I did catch the fact that the XM8s in "XXX 2" were actually vis-modded G36Ks myself. My page has said that since the very beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
You can note a Norinco Type 56 most easily by its hooded (or circle for simplicity) sight, and milled reciever. There are plenty other recognition techniques but never just use the folding bayonet as one, other AKs have folding bayonets too.
Actually, the main thing distinguishing the Type 56 from a Russian-made AK-47 is that most of them have AKM-style stamped receivers (but the rest of the gun is still AK-47-based). Also, I'm actually not aware of any other AK variant that has the "pig sticker" permanently-attached bayonet besides the Type 56. But that is irrelevant because most of the Type 56 semi versions imported to the U.S. (which armorers converted to auto for movie use) were versions that didn't have the folding bayonet.

Last edited by MT2008; 03-07-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Yeah, I never quite understood the XM8. Was it H&Ks way of getting more G36 guns in the US? Why go all the effort to creating an entirely new body for a system they already got. They might as well just tell the US Army to switch over to G36s.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”