imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-02-2016, 02:45 AM

Default Bolt Action Rifle Questions

Ok, I have some questions for a story/misc character, in regards to what kind of rifle he uses.

It's specifically a bolt action rifle, because he lives in an area in Colorado where temperatures can and will get below sub-zero.

At the moment, I have it as a 30-06 he had converted to 35 Whelen (Though I am willing to discuss this if it doesn't make sense), and has a set of iron sights mounted on the barrel, as a backup to a scope.

What might be a better rifle, for what I've described? Savage 116, or a Tikka rifle?

Or, does it make more sense he'd more likely have a 30-06 or something else for a winter bolt action in Colorado?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Sasquatch the Reaper; 11-02-2016 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:38 PM

Either would make sense, or if you really want an open sight .35 Whelan Remington actually made the 700 BDL in that caliber. That said I don't see any particular reason to go for a .35 Whelan over say a 7mm Mag, which will give you more range for those longer shots in the mountains. Not that a .30-06 won't do the job, but in Alberta (closest terrain to Colorado in Canada) the 7mm and .300 Win are the most popular.

Also, cold weather shooting tip from a Manitoban - wood is warmer on your hands in the cold than plastic and less likely to crack (although I think the problems with frozen plastic cracking are a little exaggerated).
Old 11-04-2016, 05:40 AM

I actually decided on the Savage for this particular situation. And thank you for that tip.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:09 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Also, cold weather shooting tip from a Manitoban - wood is warmer on your hands in the cold than plastic and less likely to crack (although I think the problems with frozen plastic cracking are a little exaggerated).
I always thought that it was the other way round, with wood more likely to fail in the cold than synthetics, due to the whole problem of moisture getting in and freezing causing cracks. Granted if the stock is properly sealed this can be avoided somewhat (a lot of rifles are not properly sealed in places like under the butt pad, the barrel channel or around the trigger for example though), but even if a rifle is totally sealed and dry there is naturally moisture inside wood anyway which will freeze below zero leading to some expansion and hence POI shifts if not actual damage. Really early synthetic stocks had problems with both the cold and the heat, but the thing with synthetics is that they are man made and have improved over time to the point where this is a non issue (unless we are talking about temperatures like -40 degrees, where there is a whole list of components that will likely fail before a synthetic stock).

If I was getting a rifle for everyday use lugging it up and down mountains that was going to be exposed to rain, snow and sub zero temperatures, I would get something like a Weatherby Vanguard Back Country. As for calibre I am partial to .270 Winchester.