imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 12-22-2014, 07:30 AM

Question Variety in game screenshots on the wiki

I know the focus in this wiki is on weapons and, in terms of their appearances in games, whether they can properly identified from clear screenshots.

With that in mind, there are a number of game pages on this wiki which, despite having clear screenshots of the weapons inside, also have a significant lack of variety in what's happening in the rest of the screenshot. Many of these are taken in the same ingame location, with the same background, with the character often doing nothing other than holding the weapon up, etc. This makes looking through these game-related entries rather boring and repetitive.

I'd like to hear some admin/mod opinions on this. Of course, if bandwidth and server space were the primary concerns (maybe if this wiki was made in the days before relatively cheap broadband and internet hosting?), we'd be cropping the screenshots to the bare bones around weapons from games to get the details needed for identification and nothing else, but that would be pretty boring as well. It'd be like seeing quite a lot of minor variations from the basic "reference pictures" we use to check a game's weapons against, assuming they were all faithful conversions from the real model.

I know this generally doesn't fall within the "lack of effort" template, but if some variety in screenshots is in fact considered invaluable, maybe some advice saying so should be on the various "creating a page" portions of the wiki.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:59 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I know the focus in this wiki is on weapons and, in terms of their appearances in games, whether they can properly identified from clear screenshots.
Bingo.

All I'm looking for is that all weapons be documented and screencapped. If's clear enough for an ID, it's clear enough for a screencap. Everything else is a bonus.

I know it's been discussed before, but our focus is on weapons, not on the game. All that matters is IDing the weapon and backing up that ID with screencaps.