imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Why I'm in a bad mood so often ;)

(Part one of ???) (enjoy)

Get called for a last minute scene for a film. Art Director (a 25 yr old woman who kinda looks like a Berkeley/Haight Ashbury style street protester) says "We need three guns for three soldiers".

I ask "What kind?"

She rolls her eyes like I'm being an idiot and quips "Oh, you know. Guns? the type that soldiers carry?" She has a real contempt for guns and people who own or use them. That's pretty obvious.

I am persistent. "Okay. What year?"

She goes "Oh, now. We're filming this year."

I'm confused, I ask 'You mean you're filming in 2011? or the film's plot takes place in 2011?"

She gets really annoyed. She says "You ASKED me when we were filming?!?!"

I reply '"No, I asked you what year the film takes place."

She rolls her eyes again "Oh, 60s 70s some time long ago".

I say "Okay, well the 60s or 70s wasn't that long ago, but it is historical. Now are they American soldiers?"

She says "They're guards" .... (checks her notes) ... "MPs"

"Okay, one more time, are they American MPs?"

"Yes"

"Okay, so you want three rifles for American Military Police, standing guard somewhere between the 1960s and 1970s. "

She says "MPs!"

I go "Yes, that's what MP stands for. 'Military Police'...."

So I load up M16A1s (with original slab side M16s as a backup) into the truck and off I go. (and though they're supposed to select the weapons themselves, I'm being a nice guy and bring three M1911-A1s in period holsters just in case)

When I get to the set in the middle of nowhere, I quickly realize that the soldiers are MPs at the Roswell UFO crash site in 1947!!!!!!!!

I'm furious since I brought the wrong guns. But the director (another guy fresh out of film school) walks up and says "I love the guns!"......

Face palm! (At least I brought the M1911-A1s.........)
Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 PM
IMFDB Admin

I guess they could say the MPs got the M16s from the aliens! Too bad you didn't bring M14s then you could of just took the mags out and wouldn't be so out of place.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
"We need three guns for three soldiers"
Reminds me of that bit in one of the Star Trek movies where Picard asks the computer for something like "clothes, late 20th century" and this somehow works. Should have just come back with two flintlock muskets and a medieval cannon.

Must say I feel for you, though. I've never understood that bizarre breed of people who are proud of not knowing something and dislike anyone who's gone to the effort of understanding it better than they do.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 09-14-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 PM

I can see how having to deal with some anti-gun director who doesn't understand the point of period correctness would wear on someone who deals with firearms and films for a living. I'd get mad too. I look forward to reading some more of the idiocy you can recall coming from these people.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:46 PM

As much sympathy as I feel for you, that is quite a hilarious read.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 09-15-2011, 06:32 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I guess they could say the MPs got the M16s from the aliens! Too bad you didn't bring M14s then you could of just took the mags out and wouldn't be so out of place.
For shame! You know that just pulling the mags out of the M14 would not make it look close enough to a Garand to fool anyone. Try pulling that with THIS BUNCH! LOL!!!! You'd get sarcastic remarks for days!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 AM
IMFDB Admin

A pilot was filming for a new series (yet unaired) where the timeframe is the early to mid 1960s. (since the show "Mad Men" the early 60s is hot right now). I get a call for guns for police officers and one federal agent. I'm seeing some of the advance shots of the costuming and I'm going "All Right!!! They look pretty damned good. The wardrobe looks right and best of all, the hair and makeup is spot on for the year they're portraying! Woo. Hoo."

I give them a list of what I recommend and a list of accessories:
1) S&W Model 10s, 15s, 19s
2) Chief's Special or Colt Detective Special or M1911 for the Federal agent
3) Smooth black leather duty gear with Sam Brown belt shoulder strap for officers and all leather belt holster or shoulder holster in brown leather for the Federal agent.

Then I get the propmaster's list:

1) H&K USP two tone
2) Beretta 92FS
3) FN FiveseveN
4) Desert Eagle
5) Black Cordura duty belts with velcro
6) Black nylon shoulder rig for the Fed

*crunch* the sound of my head hitting the desk......

I query as to how they came to a list like this. Well, to begin with, the Head of the Art department had these guns as airsoft toys (inexpensive spring ones) that he bought for his 7 yr old (but then thought the kid was too young and kept them). He then asked his older son, 12 yrs old, who is a video game fanatic, who plays MOH and COD, etc. what type of guns he recommends? (He probably didn't tell the kid the context either).

So, I'm being overridden due to an art department decision made by a 12 yr old.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:50 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

'Hey, while you're at it, where should we set this shootout and who should the bad guys be?'

<next day>

'We're going to need five great white sharks and a full-size mockup of the Titanic.'
Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Even if they say the movie take place in the 60s, there is a pretty big gap between the 60s and 70s. I mean if you found out the movie took place in the early 60s before the M16 came out, you'd be in trouble.

But seriously? A USP? A Desert fucking Eagle? For a second, I thought this was the list of guns for the next Mission Impossible movie

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-16-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post

I query as to how they came to a list like this. Well, to begin with, the Head of the Art department had these guns as airsoft toys (inexpensive spring ones) that he bought for his 7 yr old (but then thought the kid was too young and kept them). He then asked his older son, 12 yrs old, who is a video game fanatic, who plays MOH and COD, etc. what type of guns he recommends? (He probably didn't tell the kid the context either).

So, I'm being overridden due to an art department decision made by a 12 yr old.
Please please PLEASE for the love of God say that the man's wish to create a decent, respectable and believable work of fiction eventually over-rid his nepotistic inclination to listen to his gamer son instead of an expert. I mean, he does realize that even laymen viewers would notice that something was very wrong with a 60s Suit toting a plastic ray-gun looking pistol and the gun from Lethal Weapon, right?

Last edited by PistolJunkie; 09-16-2011 at 12:27 AM.