imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 03-19-2009, 04:35 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Hell you listening to him for?
It came up while I had my iPod on random, I promise.

Quote:
If I was the gun owner I'd tell them to leave. I would never sell guns to people who carry them to kill enemy gang members while firing them sideways (or shady individuals who fit this role). The cool concept of "Bandit shooting" in which the recoil is used to do a horizontal sweep is completely unknown to gangsters and they hold the gun sideways simply because it "looks cool."
One of the issues is...how do you tell them apart? Way too many of the Latinos around here look kinda thuggish, so it's hard to the ones who are working for cartels apart from the ones who are just dumb. But I've definitely seen the uncomfortable look that they get when they enter.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:56 AM
4570guy

Somewhat back on track, thanks to loaders like Joe Swanson who pioneered motion picture blanks, we now have a product that produces CONSISTANT results. Not to diminish anyone else's efforts, there are other blank manufacturers that have copied and improved the designs with new powders, refined crimps and profiles.
It wasn't until we had reliable ammunition that improvements in gun blanking, especially pistols, could more quickly evolve. I'm sure that Steve C would concur that "our guns are only as good as the blanks"
Regarding the crimp, it also keeps the powder retained and burning longer than wads thereby resulting in consistant pressures especially critical for semi/full auto gas operated guns. Without that the 1/4 and solid plug loads (9mm solid plug only 1-2 grains of powder!!) would be even more tempermental.

4570guy
Old 03-19-2009, 05:14 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4570guy View Post
Somewhat back on track, thanks to loaders like Joe Swanson who pioneered motion picture blanks, we now have a product that produces CONSISTANT results. Not to diminish anyone else's efforts, there are other blank manufacturers that have copied and improved the designs with new powders, refined crimps and profiles.
It wasn't until we had reliable ammunition that improvements in gun blanking, especially pistols, could more quickly evolve. I'm sure that Steve C would concur that "our guns are only as good as the blanks"
Regarding the crimp, it also keeps the powder retained and burning longer than wads thereby resulting in consistant pressures especially critical for semi/full auto gas operated guns. Without that the 1/4 and solid plug loads (9mm solid plug only 1-2 grains of powder!!) would be even more tempermental.

4570guy
Really interesting info. Thanks! Are you also an armorer?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:43 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4570guy View Post

4570guy
I agree there were blanks in the early 1900's but they had paper or wood bullets. Stembridge made blanks in the 1920's but Joe Swanson set the bar for consistent and reliable blanks in the film industry.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
They could use one of these:
Now that'd be a funny conversational piece to have. XD

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 03-20-2009, 05:22 AM
4570guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Really interesting info. Thanks! Are you also an armorer?
Yes I'm an armorer
MT2008, email me-
4570guy
Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 PM

I'm not an armorer, but I'm wondering if the reason you don't see many P99s in films is because theyre going to get shot alot, and P99s wear out quickly compared to other pistols. I was talking to a guy who runs a rental range, and who's guns see alot of rounds, and he said the P99s were always the first to need replacing. CZ75s last the longest, if anyone was wondering.

I know the question was meant in a film context, but here's the BFA for my C7:

The open section at the back locks around the groove in the flash hider (originally meant for rifle grenades) and then you screw in the plug to block up the barrel. You can even see how filthy it is in there from all the carbon build-up - they come pained safety yellow. Unit SOP is to cam it up with green gun tape though.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

I have a box full of 100s of those little BFAs (colored red) built to thread on a birdcage muzzle break for an AR-15/M16. Sadly I don't own one though. The box also had a SL of blank ammo, much of which I shot through my dad's Ruger Mini-14 while hanging out with some friends (but being safe of course)