imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

View Poll Results: Should we allow profanity on the Main Page quotes?
Yes 7 63.64%
No 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2009, 05:16 AM

I say allow profanity, if it is a good quote, or an iconic quote we can remember. Get the ones from that anti gun shoot-em-up and the transformers quote, and all the ones that dont even have to do with guns down. Some of the quotes are crap, we should have criteria for adding them.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
But my point from earlier was, if a person is offended by profanity, aren't they just as likely to be offended by guns and anything related to violence? In which case, they're going to hate our site regardless of the profanity? The fact that we don't show "gore" isn't necessarily going to be relevant to such people; the fact that we are a GUN site is what's likely to offend them in the first place.
You are generalizing. Conservatives/Republicans are overwhelmingly pro-gun and are also the type of people who are unanimously against profanity as well from my observations.

Quote:
And as I've said before, everyone I know who likes guns also swears, though that's an anecdote.
I'm concerned that you just equated gun ownership with profanity.

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 12-09-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:32 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
You are generalizing. Conservatives/Republicans are overwhelmingly pro-gun and are also the type of people who are unanimously against profanity as well from my observations.

I'm concerned that you just equated gun ownership with profanity.
Nope, I specifically said, "in my experience" and admitted it was an anecdote. Now you're doing the opposite.

But seriously, not all gun owners are ultra-religious holier-than-thou conservatives (plenty are secular Libertarians and Independents).
Old 12-09-2009, 06:53 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Nope, I specifically said, "in my experience" and admitted it was an anecdote. Now you're doing the opposite.

But seriously, not all gun owners are ultra-religious holier-than-thou conservatives (plenty are secular Libertarians and Independents).
Personally I care whether or not people swear. And I figure a lot of gun owners are former military or LEO or just guys who aren't that bothered by it. But it's unprofessional. I swore all the time in the military, but when I'm talking to film industry professionals, I keep the language clean. When I'm in the conference room helping pitch stuff or talking to producers, I keep the language clean. What is so hard to understand about that concept? It's not about calculating who or who will NOT be offended or think you're an uncouth punk. It's about just not worrying about it and keeping the language non-profane. Some of the quotes are funny. I vote for a third option, just put F--K for the f-bomb. you can still read the quote and understand what it says but don't spell it out. I was hoping for more classic movie quotes, not the more profane 'hip' quips that modern screenwriters tend to mix up with any story that has guns.

you know, these damned quotes aren't even a vital part of IMFDB. It's polarizing the membership and it's not even part of the site mission.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to MattyDienhoff

Censoring the f-bombs seems like the perfect compromise to me. I'm in favour of it.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:

When you said that people who liked guns that you know swear all the time, you are still painting a picture of gun owners being foul mouthed/profane. When I said conservative/Republican I was showing that just because a certain group likes guns does not also mean that they appreciate cursing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyDienhoff View Post
Censoring the f-bombs seems like the perfect compromise to me. I'm in favour of it.
I guess I can go with that, However some of the quotes like the one from snatch needs to be deleted regardless in my opinion.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:53 AM

I also agree that censoring the f-bombs would be a very reasonable compromise

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 AM

I still don't think censoring the "f-bomb" as you all put it, is a reasonable compromise. I'd, sooner see the quotes go before they get taken apart. I do however think that a significant amount of the quotes on there right now should be eliminated because they are just crude or too long (I freaking love the Snatch and Terminator gun store quotes, but I can see how length might be less than reasonable).

For example, we have like 9 quotes from that movie Shoot 'em Up, which on top of being sort of a stupid movie in my opinion, has a lot of crude use of language and dumb humor. It's not artful or tasteful, nor, funny (in my opinion), which is what it was intended to be. Certain quotes should be allowed or placed on the site because of their artistic value or their importance in pop culture or in a film which is typically highly revered.

Writers took the time to write these words, actors took the time to recite them, and filmmakers took the time to film all of it. Posting epic speech bleeped with "f--k" is like chiseling the nipples off the Statue of Venus, or blowing up the Giant Buddhas in Afghanistan (which actually happened.....). It's all part of something so much bigger than an instance of the word "fuck" or the offense it may cause someone who comes onto a website to see who uses what to shoot who.

I think we should put down all the quotes currently on the site somewhere and decide individually which should go and which should stay. Overall though, an instance of "fuck" shouldn't be a deciding factor. It's overall content though, and maybe even the movie it comes from, maybe, but not the "f-bomb"
Old 12-10-2009, 06:37 PM

Well, after an admittedly very long and hard deliberation on this subject (the reason I hadn't responded sooner), I have to agree with YNH. Censoring the profanity does nothing but mangle and dismantle the quotes.

Something we could do, however, is limit them to quotes without excessive profanity. A few profanities in a quote isn't an issue to me, but ones where every third word (or similar) is one could be excluded.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman

Last edited by Spartan198; 12-10-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I have to agree with YNH. Censoring the profanity does nothing but mangle and dismantle the quotes.
Well quotes are not an integral part of imfdb so it should not really matter if some quote has been "mangled" or "dismantled". If this site is to promote a professional image than profanity should be censored at the least.