imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 06-07-2016, 02:31 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Yes, it's a reboot, like BSG and Star Trek before it. People are reacting like they're rebooting the Gospel and replacing Jesus with a woman. Frankly, I don't think Hollywood gives a crap about being PC, they'll try anything if it makes money. Look at how they're treating Red China with kid gloves in order to milk that market. Trying to market a film to women, half of the population, makes sense.
I think the difference between this and the BSG reboot where they made Starbuck and Boomer a woman is...Grace Park and Katee Sackhoff are pretty ok actresses. They own their roles instead of carbon copy the originals they are replacing. This reboot Ghostbuster, you can clearly see who is a girl-character of whom or obviously who Chris Hemsworth is doing. From what we've seen of the 2 trailers...I am not that impress with their acting or how they portray their characters. It is also obvious they wanted not good looking women on purpose. Yes, it would be the same if they were hot chicks, except we'd get something out of it. Here we have not good looking woman so we can bank our attention to their acting...which from what we've seen...is not good. The black woman is not only cliche black but just horrible, border-lining racist in how the movie wants her to portray her character, a fat ugly loud Cadillac loving black woman with that terribly cliche fear of god moment when she slapped the other chick in the face after she got possessed.

There's also no legacy with BSG compared to how far reaching into popular culture Ghostbusters have become. A reboot was inevitable, but...this just looks like shit. The only sorta nice thing that I liked about it is the remake of the theme song.

With Star Trek...they didn't gender reverse any of the characters. The initial reboot movie wasn't that good on a story reason, not acting. The acting was pretty good, though it wasn't until Into Darkness when the actors actually are doing their own take on the establish canon and becoming their own characters. The first movie was basically all the characters trying too hard to be the original cast.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 06-07-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:01 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

BSG eventually worked out, but no one had any idea who Katee Sackhoff or Grace Park when the show started. Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy have proven to be bankable actresses. Again, this goes back to studios wanting to make money.

If you want to rail about a remake wasting the talents of Chris Hemsworth, remember, he was in the Red Dawn remake.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Red Dawn remake alone is just stupid. No balls. Also made no sense. Would have made more sense and less stupid to just a full blown remake and set it in the 80s.

Shit, Chris Hemsworth was the best part of the movie, that and its portrayal of Marines at the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
BSG eventually worked out, but no one had any idea who Katee Sackhoff or Grace Park when the show started. Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy have proven to be bankable actresses. Again, this goes back to studios wanting to make money.

In the case of BSG, it's all about first impressions. The miniseries, which I thought was a sort of a one shot thing gave us a good glimpse of both of these characters. They actually made us forget they are girls versions of previous characters.

Melissa McCarthy was only funny that one time...after The Heat, I really think her appeal is really gone.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Last edited by Excalibur; 06-07-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:20 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Melissa McCarthy was only funny that one time...after The Heat, I really think her appeal is really gone.
Spy was pretty good, and that was also Melissa McCarthy and Paul Feig. I'm a bit surprised no one has tried a page on it. I have the Blu-Ray of it, I just don't have the time.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

I just think her gimmick is I'm a fat white chick and I'm funny because I don't blend into other actors. She's like the female Chris Farley

Old 06-09-2016, 09:07 PM

Gotta say I'm with Excalibur all the way on this. Again, I do give Feig some good credit, it's why I haven't trashed the film totally. Yes, it's all about money, all movies are ultimately about making money. But there are times the pandering is painfully obvious. This is one of those times, and it just doesn't help matters.

All-told, we'll see what's up when it hits, and if it's really good, I'll eat my words coated with bird shit.

Anyway.. Seems Suicide Squad will be PG-13. Again, pandering a good bit more obvious there. Granted I didn't hope for it to be R-rated or anything, but it would have been nice. Still looks ok though.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:24 PM
IMFDB Admin

With all the themes in the Suicide movie, I was expecting a hard R

Old 06-09-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
With all the themes in the Suicide movie, I was expecting a hard R
Again, would have been nice but I didn't really expect it - Can't capitalize on the teen footprint with an R rating.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
Again, would have been nice but I didn't really expect it - Can't capitalize on the teen footprint with an R rating.
An R rated comic book movie that makes LOTS of money....did someone say Deadpool?

Old 06-09-2016, 09:35 PM
IMFDB Admin

There was always zero chance they Suicide Squad was going to get an R rating. WB has way too much riding on this film to held launch the DCEU for them to potentially prejudice the earnings by giving it an R rating. Regardless, it really doesn't need to have an R rating. Disregarding nudity or excessive swearing, you can get away with a lot in a PG-13 in terms of violence and general "darkness". The theatrical cut of BVS was still only a PG-13, and that had a hell of a lot of death and destruction in it.