imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 10-05-2010, 01:06 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Frankly, I'm surprised that a gun company hasn't outright paid for product placement in a show yet. Car companies, computer companies, soft drink companies pay for product placement all the time, yet I've never seen a gun company do it. I guess 24 comes the closest, but they still featured a lot of non-HK guns. I guess the logistics would be a bit harder, as they'd have to go through the armorers, but I think it'd be worth it.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:12 PM

ive seen 24 seasons where it does seem they got advertisements, besides the obvious HK, in some seasons every car driven is a ford, jack steals like 2 tauruses, drives an expedition as a personal car, secret service have excursions instead of a suburban, things like that. I"n the most recent season he says "springfield, m1a, .308" when he never identifies guns by name.....

I see the argument about a "niche" market but you expect some ads during shooting shows, like world skeet shooting championships may want to advertise shotguns.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Frankly, I'm surprised that a gun company hasn't outright paid for product placement in a show yet. Car companies, computer companies, soft drink companies pay for product placement all the time, yet I've never seen a gun company do it. I guess 24 comes the closest, but they still featured a lot of non-HK guns. I guess the logistics would be a bit harder, as they'd have to go through the armorers, but I think it'd be worth it.
I was under the impression that Walther had something to do with James Bond upgrading to the P5 and later the P99.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:05 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
I was under the impression that Walther had something to do with James Bond upgrading to the P5 and later the P99.
Good point. (And the WA2000 in Living Daylights.) The entire franchise has whored itself out in terms of product placement. But with the guns, it's not as blatant. With the P99, he mentions the name of the gun once, and then never again. And I don't remember him mentioning the names of either the P5 or WA2000. Other "good guys" use non-Walther guns with as much fanfare. I wonder if another company can swoop in and get the Bond placement. (In the books, he uses as ASP.)

Speaking of, has anyone seen any print ads or any such promotional material from Walther featuring Bond?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Good point. (And the WA2000 in Living Daylights.) The entire franchise has whored itself out in terms of product placement. But with the guns, it's not as blatant. With the P99, he mentions the name of the gun once, and then never again. And I don't remember him mentioning the names of either the P5 or WA2000. Other "good guys" use non-Walther guns with as much fanfare. I wonder if another company can swoop in and get the Bond placement. (In the books, he uses as ASP.)

Speaking of, has anyone seen any print ads or any such promotional material from Walther featuring Bond?
Because ASP's are way better than PPK's

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 PM

I think the book went beretta 950, ppk 32, asp, in that order. And he got a smith and wesson 38 revovler once.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I think the book went beretta 950, ppk 32, asp, in that order. And he got a smith and wesson 38 revovler once.
Well, I guess over time he realized that "wait, this Beretta is a piece of junk" and bought a PPK. When he figured out his .32 took a half a mag to kill someone, he finally said "screw it" and splurged on an ASP

Old 10-05-2010, 08:19 PM

And eventually hell have two desert eagle 50aes in dual shoulder holster rig.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
And eventually hell have two desert eagle 50aes in dual shoulder holster rig.
"Sir, what are those bulges under your arms?"

"I have no clue what you are talking about"

Old 10-06-2010, 03:01 AM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

Spike TV has a saturday morning block of TV shows hosted by Gerald McRaney that is about tactical shooting and training civilians for personal defense that has all the gun commercials you could ever want.

I believe they are produced by some of the folks who do swat TV, best defense and shooting gallery on Outdoor channel's wednesday night on the range.

It's some very solid programming.