imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-10-2011, 05:38 AM

Default What should I get?

I'm gonna come into some money, not much but some, I'd say close to 400 dollars, and I'm thinking of what I'll do with it once I make it, here's what I'm thinking:

Option 1: Buy an original S&W Model 60 outright, with the right GB auction I can have one for 400 dollars, and there isn't much more to get with a revolver other than a holster and maybe some speedloader of some type, but basically, it's its own package. I've kinda been wanting a little gun for use as a backup, something I can put in my pocket around the house rather than one of my full sizes, or down the road I can use it as a concealed carry gun.

Option 2: Save a little extra and buy my friends AKMS. It's an older stamped Vector Arms Underfolder and we worked out a deal, 600 bucks for the gun and 6 mags, 3 metal and 3 Pro Mag. I got to watch others fire it and fire it myself, and it worked well. I also have to put down some extra money for new furniture since he painted the wood black, but I'll also want to buy gear for it like mags, a sling, new furniture (perhaps a rail or new wood, he painted the old wood black) so with it there's a bit more buying to do, though for the most part it's a good package with the gun and several mags to start.

Option 3: Save more and get an AR-15. I've been wanting one for a while and I'm thinking about putting down 800 on a Spikes Tactical AR, either from their site, or however much they cost locally, I know on shop that carries them. Of course this involves more saving, and then when I get the gun, more spending on accessories since I'll want rails and that kinda stuff even more, and I'll only have one or two magazines to start with. It's the most expensive option and the one that requires the most patience, but it's also the one I most "need" as it is a rifle as opposed to another pistol, and it's THE rifle, so to speak.

Any thoughts guys?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:05 AM

If I were in your situation myself, I'd get the Model 60, but that's just because I want one

I recommend the AKMS. That way, you get a kickass AK and your buddy gets some cash

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 04-10-2011, 10:31 AM

the ak is kinda expensive, unless vector was real good like arsenal, and promag blows, the mod 60 seems like a more useful gun i you want a carry,

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 04-10-2011, 01:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

I say save a little longer and get the AR, since you need a rifle rather than another handgun. I wouldn't bother getting a gun for carry until you get your carry permit. With the AR, you also have the choice of getting different uppers.

The AK seems like a decent deal also. While Promags aren't the best. They ain't the worst either. With it being an underfolder, I'd rather have a fixed stock for a first AK. But since you shot it and are comfortable with it I guess you don't mind it. While AK ammo is generally cheaper. Comparing Wolf ammo between the 7.62 and .223 there isn't much of a price difference.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:45 PM

for another 100 you could get an arsenal ak, top of the line. A carry gun is good to get, you have time to get proficent with it before getting your permit.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 04-12-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
the ak is kinda expensive, unless vector was real good like arsenal, and promag blows, the mod 60 seems like a more useful gun i you want a carry,
Vector Arms AKMS rifles go for 700+ new, and 600 dollars for about any decent stamped AK is not unreasonable. Next to Century built AKs like WASRs and GP1975s, it's more pricey, but it's also a much better in terms of fit and finish. Add to it that it comes with 6 mags (yes 3 are ProMag and their reputation is not great, but I have used the mags and know they work; it's hard to fuck up an AK mag) and that I would be supporting a friend by buying it, it's a no brainer whether I'd take that over a bone stock Arsenal, which is more expensive (well over 700 dollars, both with the flat price for the gun and FFL fees, and I'll have to buy online since no one around here carries them) and just about the same gun, if not less of an AK, at least in my eyes. Their basic model while nice and I'm sure worth every penny, has a fixed stock rather than a folder, and a bunch of AK-74 changes rather than being a flat out AKM type rifle, and as a purist, that bothers me. And if I'm going to spend 800 bucks, I can get the Spikes AR instead of an AK with which I don't think I'd be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I say save a little longer and get the AR, since you need a rifle rather than another handgun. I wouldn't bother getting a gun for carry until you get your carry permit. With the AR, you also have the choice of getting different uppers.
I'd like to have the Model 60, a small gun, to lug around my apartment too. I've put my Hi-Power in my pocket a few times and found it to be uncomfortable, and I'm constantly worrying about the finish. The AR upper thing is cool to think of too, at least down the road as uppers, and accessorizing an AR in general is pretty expensive.

My boss told me that over the summer he'll have a lot more work for me though, and I really wasn't expecting that, so that might mean I'll earn some more money and be able to have the snub and a rifle too. Here's hoping!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:57 PM

the 60 seems best bet, it seems like a "need" for you, the rest are more wants.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 PM

I believe everyone needs a proper fighting rifle too, so they're both needs in a sense. I'm probably going to get the snub first, but I'm gonna have to hold off until the right bid comes up, there was about 4 or 5 of them in my price range that just got sold. ><
Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 PM

You want a 60 specifically or just a good snub?

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
You want a 60 specifically or just a good snub?
The Model 60 IS a good snub

http://www.introvertisland.com