imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 06-13-2009, 05:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Payback

Okay, I was put into a very bad mood yesterday when I bought Payback: The Directors Cut to screencap, checked the site page (which was crappy), screencapped it in full, and then come back on to find the entire page done by Charley Driver. I'm not usually so assinine on this sort of thing but I was already in kind of a bad mood as it was due to personal matters.

I've posted this topic to debate my re-doing the page. First off, this movie is GREAT to comment on when it comes to lack of realism (and I took several screencaps to show this), but CD's first language isn't English, so he missed most of these. Second, the caps look kind of low-res, like the cinematographer was on drugs. He also put most of the screencaps out of chronological order, which gives me a headache. And he mis-identified a few guns, including Porter's main gun (which is a Model 27, not a Model 29) I apoligize if I'm sounding petty, but let me show you some comparison pics I made. I'll let you guys decide if I have the right to re-do it (Charley Driver's pic on top, mine on bottom):

I had to crop mine to fit next to his and all of his were various sizes for some reason, but aside from some of my caps having some side cut off, none of his images are edited to make mine look better, I guarantee.

So, do I have the right?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:09 PM

I think the general rule on the site is if you have better quality screencaps you should use them.
Charly Driver's caps look sort of washed out/faded.
Thats what I did with Lethal Weapon 4
Old 06-13-2009, 06:18 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm guessing Charly Driver has the older version of the DVD, because his screencaps look just like the few I took from my own copy of the DVD as tests.

The Director's Cut seems to have a totally different finish. For the purposes of our site (IDing guns, it's better). But from the perspective of filmmaking aesthetics, the older tint on the film is better because it adds to the gritiness and noir look.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:25 PM
IMFDB Admin

I suppose for noir purposes the look is better but the image quality is indeed higher on my DVD, right? I'm pretty sure on Legions of Fate's site he used the same DVD (he said he found it to be the only high quality DVD he had handy), and we know he puts out some nice pics.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:12 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I suppose for noir purposes the look is better but the image quality is indeed higher on my DVD, right? I'm pretty sure on Legions of Fate's site he used the same DVD (he said he found it to be the only high quality DVD he had handy), and we know he puts out some nice pics.
Not to sound hypocritical, but then can I re do your Matrix Pages? This is kind of a pandora's box you're opening. Since I backed off doing the Matrix pages because you did them. Just pointing that out.

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 06-13-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 PM
IMFDB Admin

You can re-do the first page if you want, but I think the other movies worked out alright enough to not be redone. Just make sure to keep all of the comment images (it would be preferable if you re-did all the images I did, but you have the right to remove what you want)
Old 06-13-2009, 08:33 PM
IMFDB Admin

Okay, so can I do it? I don't have much else to do other than to prep the screencaps so I'd like to know if I should both or move onto other projects?