imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 10-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I own a couple Lee-Enfields made by Enfield and a Webley Mk VI manufactured in 1925 by Enfield. I have a MkIII* made at (or is it by?) Lithgow. But as of today I have no Canadian made firearms. I hope one day to get a Long Branch, but for now no such luck. I really like the old British/Commonwealth firearms. I'm even considering an Ishy.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Well, now that Colt bought out Diemaco I guess you could say my C7 is Colt-made, though mine was made when they were still Canadian owned. My Hi Power is a WW2 Inglis, so it's also Canadian made. All our MGs come straight from Belgium though. I've only ever played with one once, but our new sniper rifles are actually made in my hometown.
That's pretty cool. I think Imbel has a few plants in my city. I know there is an brazilian Army base in my city. I pass through there almost every day on my way to school.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:28 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I think the HK thinks we suck joke is getting old
I concur. Not to mention that even the guy who started the joke cautioned his readers that they should make sure they've shot the guns they're criticizing/praising before forming strong opinions.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:04 AM

Not bashing guns, fired the USP-45 and thought it was great, just there customer service is known to suck, and thats important to me. Theres a reason I respect SA, Smith and Wesson and Ruger A lot.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
I own a couple Lee-Enfields made by Enfield and a Webley Mk VI manufactured in 1925 by Enfield. I have a MkIII* made at (or is it by?) Lithgow. But as of today I have no Canadian made firearms. I hope one day to get a Long Branch, but for now no such luck. I really like the old British/Commonwealth firearms. I'm even considering an Ishy.
Well, it's not like there's alot of Canadian-made military firearms. The Ross rifle, Long Branch No.4 and Inglis Hi Power are the only ones you're likely to find. The CAL C1A1s are great rifles, but about as common as rocking horse poop on the civilian market.

Pre-war Ishy's actually aren't bad quality, but I'd stay away from any made after 1941. I've had bad experiences.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Well, it's not like there's alot of Canadian-made military firearms. The Ross rifle, Long Branch No.4 and Inglis Hi Power are the only ones you're likely to find. The CAL C1A1s are great rifles, but about as common as rocking horse poop on the civilian market.

Pre-war Ishy's actually aren't bad quality, but I'd stay away from any made after 1941. I've had bad experiences.
Yeah I've been told to be very careful with the Ishys. You know I've never seen a Ross - not even in a museum. However in the past year I've ome into contact with many models that I had never seen before except in a museum - if that. However I now own a few of those pieces so never say never I guess.

Now I do happen to know where there are many Para-Ordnances.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:54 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Not bashing guns, fired the USP-45 and thought it was great, just there customer service is known to suck, and thats important to me. Theres a reason I respect SA, Smith and Wesson and Ruger A lot.
The same Ruger who supported the AWB? Come on, now.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
The same Ruger who supported the AWB? Come on, now.
Bill Ruger died in 2002. His company is under different management and recently began selling hi-capacity magazines to the general public. I try not to condemn him for that political move. Sixteen years ago American gunowners were on the ropes. It seemed like the political momentum had finally gone to the gungrabbers and people were scrambling. Bill Ruger started his company from scratch and I can understand his motivation. He was trying to save his life's work. Everybody compromises sometime in their life and that's what he was doing.

I didn't agree with that letter, and sixteen years ago I was twenty-five so I could be very righteous since I was younger. Many years later I see the world somewhat differently and have come to realize that we all the potential of being assholes, cowards, cads, and heros - sometimes all on the same day. You get older and start to gather the ineviatable baggage of life (family, responsiblity etc) and your attitudes change somewhat.

In the early nineties it looked like we were going down and it was a matter of trying to make the fall as soft as possible. I joined the NRA and got angry. Bill Ruger was alot older than me and choose to try some political manuvering. Ironically the NRA proved to be very adept at political mauvering and we've made some real gains. But lets not go spitting on Mr. Ruger's memory. I myself have grown more temperate in the past few years as well. It happens.

Okay I'm off the soapbox now.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:44 PM

Bill ruger decided clintons ban wasn't good enough and only sold 5 round mini-14 mags, but it is true, the current company is a whole new breed. Introducing high-caps and tactical models, rugged, well made rifles, pistols and wheelguns, started phasing out "lawyer triggers" (the lc6 is no savage accutrigger, but you can't pick up a cocked rifle bu the trigger without it firing anymore) plus Ive heard the trigge pull on a GP-100 is starting to rival a smith's instead of being 14 lbs. Good customer service. Plus affordable prices. The shadow of Bill ruger no longer hangs over the company. Plus, they are all american made and owned by americans.

Last edited by k9870; 10-24-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:45 PM

And, in regards to H&K, im sad the p7 never caught on, neat little pistol.