imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2009, 04:29 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun View Post
I'm sure you built over a thousand AR in your life time.

Piston doesn't reduce fouling in a gun. It change where the fouling is located. The fouling doesn't magically disappear in piston gun. I shot my AKs and you know where all the fouling is located? The piston and the piston tube.

The SCAR use a modified AR18 action. It's nothing new. Just a different stock.
I agree that it is nothing new to the SCAR gas system. It is true that a piston system can take more abuse then the DI system. The DI systems has always had an inherit weakness to it between the gas tube and the gas key. Both parts are just a flimsy design more prone to damage in the hands of a soldier. But again even though the DI system is fragile it is not a problem for both civilians and law enforcement. As for the AK fouling I had some AK's that East German ammo was used on which is very corrosive. The piston was frozen in the tube we so we just hit the bolt handle with a rubber mallet. The piston came free and the weapon was fired right after with out any other service done to it.

Don't get me wrong I love the AR system as I have been working on them since 1975 but there is always room for improvement.