imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 09-07-2009, 09:14 PM

Default Video Game Gun Gripes

Well, im always bothered by something, but here i go:

Things that bother me:

All revolvers are shown as magnums, and usually way more powerful than even rifles.

The benelli m3 is always portrayed as pump action only.

Guns compared to each other having much different stats even though it makes no sense (like g3 and m16 having same damage, or and hk 416 doing more damage than an m4)

Guns of the same caliber (but not cartridge) sharing ammo.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 PM

Most of my problems come from Vegas 1 and 2, both of which I played to death.

With the Raging Bull, when you fired all rounds and reloaded, you spun the cylinder for some reason, making it take even longer than it should.

They add the AKS-74U, yet they mess it up and give it the exact same stats as the AK-47, making it's usefulness questionable.

The UMP .45 does the same damage as the MP5

Guns that are balanced very poorly is also annoying. The Glock 18 is full-auto, so it must do almost no damage. If developers made the guns as true to their real-life counter parts as possible, they would balance themselves.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:17 PM

After the Vegas series I'm not purchasing another Rainbow Six Title.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 PM

Remember vegas one where it took like 10 seconds to cycle a pump shotgun cause you had to point it sideways , pump slow to look cool, then aim?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I think this isn't something worth griping about. There's stuff you can gripe about with guns in movies and TV shows, too, that you might as well just not do. The fact is, if entertainment were exactly like real life, nobody would enjoy it.

Having been on various mod dev teams as a teenager, I can say that I've seen lots of people who claim that they want to make the guns as realistic as possible. Then they find that they can't do it without affecting the gameplay in some way, and they have to make compromises on the weapons' realism that they didn't set out to make. I worked on a mod where we found that we needed to make the M4 into one of those 7.62x39mm models that could share ammo with the AK-47, because we realized that due to the nature of the levels and the enemies we were trying to portray, M4 ammo would be way too scarce to last the entire length of each level if we chambered the gun for 5.56x45mm (if anyone's ever played "Soldier of Fortune II", you might recall the AK-74 also fires the same ammo as the M4; I'm guessing it's for almost the same reason). We also had to make the H&K USP Tactical and the Walther PPK share ammo with the Makarov and CZ-75, for pretty much the same reason. Not to mention that because the USP had a suppressor, the CZ-75 needed to be a machine pistol.

Another problem comes whenever you have members of a dev team (or even the entire team) being from a country where guns aren't allowed. I've worked with Britons, Germans, South Africans, and Koreans who had never seen a real gun in their lives. Some of them had no idea that the slant compensator on an AKM changes the shape of the muzzle flash when fired, or that you can chamber the next round in an AR by slapping the bolt catch rather than using the charging handle. That, too, can affect how realistically guns are portrayed, if you've got a team full of guys whose knowledge of guns is solely based on how they're portrayed in the movies, or other games.

Last edited by MT2008; 09-08-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:24 AM

My main gripe with Vegas and Vegas 2 is them both having XM8s instead of M4s. Other than that, I really enjoyed them both from an entertainment standpoint.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman

Last edited by Spartan198; 09-08-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:54 AM

Why is it not just vegas, but all games, that show the benelli m3 shooting pump-only?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
After the Vegas series I'm not purchasing another Rainbow Six Title.
Vegas 1 was awesome. Vegas 2 wasn't and was a serious step in the wrong direction. The grenade indicators and sprint feature were just retarded. And sometimes I wonder if they actually put effort into the guns they picked. Are you telling me that they didn't think making the Scorpion do zero damage would make it almost completely nonexistent in multiplayer. Plus how they reused gun sounds was just a sign on laziness.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:29 AM

I liked the sprint feature, just the game as a whole didnt have enough new about it. It was pretty much a rehash.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:29 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Why is it not just vegas, but all games, that show the benelli m3 shooting pump-only?
Both the Benelli M3 and SPAS-12 have both pump/semi, but I believe you need 3" rounds to kick the action into cycling properly. And that seems unlikely for everyone to be using that.