imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

You're right ShootingJames, but we have lost something in the name of being efficient.

Ever see that tricked out Walther P-38 that Napoleon Solo carried in The Man from Uncle or the battered, but still effective Colt Goverment Model that Magnum carried. How about the Colt Python with the six inch barrel that Hutch (David Soul)carried on Starsky & Hutch or the Webley Mk VI carried by Higgins on Magnum P.I..

Oh well.

Last edited by Jcordell; 11-15-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:52 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
You still watch Seagal films? I hadn't watched a new one in 10 years. Same goes for Van-Damme too.
If they're on USA, and I'm bored enough...yeah, sometimes. Then again, I am a masochist when it comes to movies (I've also managed to sit through two Uwe Boll films).

As for Van Damme, "JCVD" is actually pretty good, though in a bunch of ways that are mostly unintentional. I doubt the new "Universal Soldier" movie he's working on will be any good, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
When they were filing the remake of Dawn of the Dead the directer (Zack Snyder) supposedly told the armorer that he wanted his characters to have firearms that average folks were likely to have. So all the fancy semi-autos and H&K smgs went away and in came the S&W Model 28. Model 10/13 and the Model 66 snubbie. Only Ving Rhames has a Remington 870 with a synthetic stock and flashlight and the street hood as the Beretta 92.

I liked that.
Which is kind of unrealistic in its own way. I personally know dozens of "average folks" who own semi-auto AKs, AR-15s, and other "military-style" semi-autos. They're becoming much more common amongst American gun owners nowadays, moreso than in the past.

That's the problem with Hollywood and the way they depict gun ownership. Either they show average people using nothing about hunting rifles, shotguns, and revolvers (while only police/military types get the latest semi-auto pistols and assault weapons), or they show criminals going into gun stores and buying fully automatic weapons as if to imply that this happens in real life. In other words, two different extremes that don't represent reality. It's not like they'd ever show "good" average guys legitimately owning using semi-auto AR-15s to protect themselves, like many folks I know. Only BGs and government types get to use the nasty black rifles in Hollywoodland. Nobody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
One of the reasons why I like the "old" cop movies from the sixties and seventies is the heavy presence of revolvers, shotguns etc. In some of the movies like Magnum Force the actors are using models that were getting old by the time the movie was filmed.

The old shows like Wanted: Dead or ALive and Paladin: Have Gun will Travel had firearms that were part of the characters. Of course Inspector Callahan with his Model 29 and even Quigly with his Sharps repeater.

In my opinion the movies (and television) has lost a little zip that the older productions had. It all black plastic and synthetic nowdays.

Oh well.
It's kind of strange that you say that, because I feel the same way about movies nowadays. Personally, I liked the "older" action movies from the late-1980s and 1990s when the Beretta 92F was the handgun that everyone used. Not sure why, but there's just something I find a lot more appealing about the earlier Wonder Nines in action. Maybe it's just childhood nostalgia.

Oh, yes, and I also miss how, in the 1990s movies, it used to be that every single subgun was either an Uzi or an MP5, and every assault rifle was an M16 or an AK. The newer weapons like the FN P90 and UMP and MP7 just don't have the same on-screen appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingJames View Post
Politics is also a factor today. They don't make the guns "characters" because they don't want that kind of attention on the film. They don't want the guns to be the focus in any way shape or form. More than likely the producers and the director are anti-gun anyway.
Yeah, but this wasn't exactly that much different in the 1980s than today. The "Lethal Weapon" movies (and remember that Gunman specifically cited those as examples in the beginning) were all filmed by a liberal, anti-gun director, and yet they're part of the reason that the Beretta became so popular.

I also find it hard to imagine that politics play into it because of how many films I see where it's obvious that the director has a fixation upon the firearms. You can always tell that the director likes the guns when they show lots of close-ups of the weapon being loaded/cocked, or just handled in general. An example I always think of is F. Gary Gray, who's quite liberal in real life. Yet his movie "The Negotiator" is basically two and a half hours of SIG P226 worship, or maybe even fetishism (check it out if you don't believe me).

Last edited by MT2008; 11-15-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
It's kind of strange that you say that, because I feel the same way about movies nowadays. Personally, I liked the "older" action movies from the late-1980s and 1990s when the Beretta 92F was the handgun that everyone used. Not sure why, but there's just something I find a lot more appealing about the earlier Wonder Nines in action. Maybe it's just childhood nostalgia.

Oh, yes, and I also miss how, in the 1990s movies, it used to be that every single subgun was either an Uzi or an MP5, and every assault rifle was an M16 or an AK. The newer weapons like the FN P90 and UMP and MP7 just don't have the same on-screen appeal.
Same here, I'm also getting tired of seeing all those fancy optics and picatinny rails on every single new gun.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 AM

Yeah, there is a bit of a lack of Hi-power's in movies, which is a shame. The last thing i remember seeing it with enough screen time is the FEG clone in American Gangster (does that count ). Also, i believe in the video game Killer 7 (which i hope to make a page for soon) Curtis carry's two Hi-powers.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:13 PM

Id like to see everyday guns, I know more people with ruger p-series than kimber warriors, and more people carrying lcps than the m92fs. Springer xds are fairly common, people seem to like them better than glunks, bt the only movie i've seen an xd fired in is crank.