imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-28-2010, 04:01 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

As Nyles said, the 308 is a good cartridge, but itīs heavy and you canīt carry much ammo. Anyway, our army wonīt change this cardtrige because thereīs no money for buying new rifles or ammo machines for make the 5,56.

But seriously, before changing caliber Iīd change the WWII M1 helmets and other old stuff that is still in use.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:19 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Ppl still use those somewhere in the world?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 AM

Hell, the US used them into the 80s, we had them into the 90s. Is it really that surprising it'd still be in use elsewhere?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

The M1 is still the predominant. But recently, some units are using the Rabintex RBX:

(601 Air Assault Regiment during exercises, september 2009)
Old 05-04-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markost View Post
As Nyles said, the 308 is a good cartridge, but itīs heavy and you canīt carry much ammo. Anyway, our army wonīt change this cardtrige because thereīs no money for buying new rifles or ammo machines for make the 5,56.

But seriously, before changing caliber Iīd change the WWII M1 helmets and other old stuff that is still in use.
I think modern technology could negate most of the issues with the 7.62x51 cartridge. Mind you that almost all the loadings of the 7.62x51 haven't changed since the 1950's. It was never looked into to improve the cartridge. The 7.62x51 is a much more versatile cartridge then the 5.56x45 is. The
5.56x45 will fail in every area when it tries to be like a 7.62x51. I'm not saying the 7.62x51 is the ideal combat cartridge, but changes can be made to it to make it more applicable to modern combat.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:23 AM

The only areas the 7.62mm beats the 5.56mm is range (but not by much - that little bullet goes pretty far at those velocities, that's why it tends to be the round of choice for varmint hunters), punching through brush and penetration of hard surfaces. I will caveat that by saying the 5.56mm is far more effective at chewing through sandbags, and that not even a .50 cal can penetrate the walls in Kandahar. We literally have to use the APFSDS rounds from the 25mm.

Are there potentially better combat rounds than the 5.56mm? Definately. I'd be very curious to get some real-world experience with the 6.8mm SPC for example. Is it the 7.62mm NATO? No. It's a good machine gun cartridge, I don't see anything better on the horizon. As a combat round in an automatic rifle? It was a compromise in 1954, when even then there were better rounds in development. I'd like to see a man in every section with a 7.62mm DMR, but it is long obsolete in a select-fire infantryman's rifle.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
The only areas the 7.62mm beats the 5.56mm is range (but not by much - that little bullet goes pretty far at those velocities, that's why it tends to be the round of choice for varmint hunters), punching through brush and penetration of hard surfaces. I will caveat that by saying the 5.56mm is far more effective at chewing through sandbags, and that not even a .50 cal can penetrate the walls in Kandahar. We literally have to use the APFSDS rounds from the 25mm.

Are there potentially better combat rounds than the 5.56mm? Definately. I'd be very curious to get some real-world experience with the 6.8mm SPC for example. Is it the 7.62mm NATO? No. It's a good machine gun cartridge, I don't see anything better on the horizon. As a combat round in an automatic rifle? It was a compromise in 1954, when even then there were better rounds in development. I'd like to see a man in every section with a 7.62mm DMR, but it is long obsolete in a select-fire infantryman's rifle.

Ohhhhh be careful. The .308/45acp Mafia will hunt you down for such blasphemy.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 AM

Well, as long as we're on that note, I'd just like to state publically that my first choice for a military handgun round is 7.62 x 25mm Tokarev.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:

The little 5.56x45 will get blown around by the wind more then the 7.62x51 will, which is one reason why it's not used by snipers. Against barriers, the 7.62x51 will tear through trees and concrete better. Not to mention the 5.56x45 will be deflected more easily. To be fair, the 5.56x45 was given more chance to mature then the 7.62x51.

Quote:
Well, as long as we're on that note, I'd just like to state publically that my first choice for a military handgun round is 7.62 x 25mm Tokarev.
That I will agree with you on.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
That's a neat little load. Makes me thing of Bolshevik agents sneaking around Instanbul in the 1930's. Don't know why that particular city is in my imagination.