imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
How is "403 Permission Denied" better than a ASP pistol?

it should be a picture of a Model 39 Devel...looks to be a higher capacity version
Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia View Post
it should be a picture of a Model 39 Devel...looks to be a higher capacity version
I fixed the link for you (linked the full page though, not the single image, it's an interesting little read). The Model 39 is a single stack 8-shot, where as the Model 59 was a double stack 14-shot (although the navy released a model that could take the 13-round Browning Hi-Power mags).

The Devel 59 looks like a pretty nice gun, I'd take it over the 39 for the added firepower.

My mom has a Smith & Wesson Model 39 with pearl grips. It shoots great, but I'm not a fan of the magazine safety (when the magazine is removed, the trigger will not allow the hammer to drop).
Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 PM

i hate magazine safeties with a passion.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 06-16-2011, 05:01 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
i hate magazine safeties with a passion.
I always think of action movies. What if the magazine gets knocked out in a hand-to-hand battle and all you have is one in the pipe? Improbable preparanoia, as per my norm.

It's still a flawed design though, probably the only pistol inovation Browning thought up that I don't like. If I ever get a High-Power (I think that was the first pistol he designed with that function), I either want one that doesn't have that safety, or has it deactivated.

According to wikipedia:

Quote:
"The standard trigger pull is heavy, especially for a single-action pistol. This disadvantage is a consequence of the Hi-Power's magazine safety design, which was initially added to the model to meet the requirements of the French military in 1935. The standard Hi-Power magazine safety is connected to the trigger and is released by a plunger pressing on the surface of the magazine. This action of the plunger on the magazine adds tension to the trigger pull, and the required force to operate this feature adds resistance as well. This problem is often resolved by removing the magazine safety entirely, thus voiding the pistol's warranty, or by polishing the interface surfaces between the safety plunger and the magazine."

EDIT: Looked it up, the French military added to it's list of requirements for a new pistol "a magazine disconnect device". Since Browning died in 1926, his design was modified by gunsmiths like Dieudonné Saive (who invented the stagger double-column magazine). Not sure if it was him who added the magazine safety in the end, although Browning designed it to meet all the standards so it's not clear.

Last edited by Gunmaster45; 06-16-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Sorry, but I've been reading the Browning Hi-Power wiki to brush up on them a little (I know the risks) and came across this interesting tidbit.

Quote:
The HP-SFS (Safe-Fast-Shooting) is a current variation on the Hi-Power Mark III with a modified firing mechanism. After the weapon is loaded, the hammer is pushed forward, which automatically activates the safety catch. When the shooter is prepared to fire, the safety is pressed down with the thumb, releasing the hammer to spring backwards into the usual, single-action position. A similar system is available for modifying Colt M1911A1s. Magazines are interchangeable with the Mark III and others.
That actually sounds really cool, why am I only learning about this now?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 PM

Hopefully the new link works

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-16-2011, 05:17 PM

I'm going to Zavalla until next Thursday (at the very most)

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 06-16-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 PM

I'm bringing my .45 and my kukri machete with me

Old 06-16-2011, 05:45 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Sorry, but I've been reading the Browning Hi-Power wiki to brush up on them a little (I know the risks) and came across this interesting tidbit.

Quote:
The HP-SFS (Safe-Fast-Shooting) is a current variation on the Hi-Power Mark III with a modified firing mechanism. After the weapon is loaded, the hammer is pushed forward, which automatically activates the safety catch. When the shooter is prepared to fire, the safety is pressed down with the thumb, releasing the hammer to spring backwards into the usual, single-action position. A similar system is available for modifying Colt M1911A1s. Magazines are interchangeable with the Mark III and others.
That actually sounds really cool, why am I only learning about this now?
Got one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzApGSu_EiA
That flinching you see is because of the 8lb trigger pull.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 PM

prefere hammer cocked, safety on, i dont want the gun doing it for me like that system, seems like an answer searching for problems. And im not thinking of action movies, im thinking of mags failing to seat properly or a bent feed lip preventing you from using it.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Closed Thread