imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:37 AM

Why is amount of pages built part of the criteria?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Why is amount of pages built part of the criteria?
Is that a serious question? How do you get promoted to a higher rank ANYWHERE? By what you produce. And since this is a Wiki, what you produce = how much you contribute in the way of information.

Look, I realize you're disappointed, but bitching and whining about it sure as hell isn't a good way to make your case (not in my view, at least).

EDIT: To elaborate, let me put it this way - an admin's job on IMFDB is (among other things) to enforce the formatting standards and ensure that pages meet them. Doing lots of (good) pages demonstrates that a person has mastered the formatting standards, so that they can ensure other people conform to them.

Last edited by MT2008; 08-05-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunni View Post
The following three users have been nominated for Administrator status by their peers.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/User:Predator20

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/User:Ben41

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/User:Jcordell

Sounds like a damn fine idea to me. Anyone say otherwise?
Sounds good to me. I've nothing but positive opinions of all three.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 08-05-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
EDIT: To elaborate, let me put it this way - an admin's job on IMFDB is (among other things) to enforce the formatting standards and ensure that pages meet them. Doing lots of (good) pages demonstrates that a person has mastered the formatting standards, so that they can ensure other people conform to them.
That reminds me to ask Excaliber about how to do that Cell layout on the firearms pages. I know that most of them still need converting and I suck at wiki programming.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:06 AM
IMFDB Admin

My only problem with Ben41 is some of his pages miss guns used in movies and some of his images, while done in bluray, are brightened to a level that looks kind of ugly. Aside from that, I think he'd make a good admin. Wish he posted on the forum though so we could get to know him.

Oh, and of course Ben41 has redone a lot of pages I've made, so naturally I have to hate him for destroying my ego of hard work for this site... (jk, if sarcasm is not well read)
Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 AM

I agree with all 3 nominations
Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 AM

It was a serious question, and you answered it. Now here's my reply.

I'm not "bitching or whining", I'm stating my case, that's all. I'll admit I was a little insulted when I didn't see my name, but my presence here has lowered some and on the surface it seems I don't do much here. If I'd had admin this whole time I would have more of a sense of duty and a saber to wave at other people if they're being unruly. As just another account holder here I either have to go through one of my friends to get certain things done (locking a page, getting people banned or disciplining less than reputable members).

As far as a page making resume goes though, building an entire page can take up a whole day (especially when you can't lock a page, something only admins can do) and renting or buying DVDs costs money. I don't usually have the time or money to build lots and lots of pages but I do little edits on the existing pages when I can, and I help others with their pages, and even that takes a lot of work. In other words, I don't think it's fair to judge someone's amount of productivity on the site solely on how many pages they have listed on their userpage. That's far too simplistic.

There are a dozen other factors, like micro-edits and fixing existing pages (what I usually do, and something we have talked about doing before making new movie pages in the first place), helping others with their pages, working on the gun pages, and helping with discussions and determining "unknown" guns. Not to mention there is a finite amount of movies we can add to the site, and if everyone decides to call out and stack pages, there isn't much left for people like me to do but what I would call "support work" like fixing their errors or determining guns.

I've been around here for a long stretch of time and I've done my part as well as I can with the personal constraints that I have, and when I see that people are being nominated based on (minus their character) one thing, the amount of pages they've built, I just don't see it as completely logical. Maybe on the surface but there are other things that people do that can't be tacked onto their user page.

Honestly I don't see how I came off as bitchy or whiny in the first place with my original post. I asked a simple question, and followed up with another legitimate question, and somehow that constitutes as "bitching and whining". I think that comes from you having a low opinion of me in some way. I'm sorry if you read my type and it immediately sounds like a bitching and whining in your head, but I don't think it's grounds to discredit me like you do. If I get admin, I get it, if I don't, I don't. I'm just illustrating why I think I should in the best way I can, and I'm even being a good sport about who is actually in the running. If you can't respect all this, or at least respond to me with less condescension, I don't think I can maintain the respect I have for you, Matt, and believe me I've got nothing but respect for you and all the senior members here.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

I just want to make sure that the best possible screencaps are up for my favorite films. I really prefer them to be in widescreen, and when possible, the blu ray version (a lot of older films such as Last Action Hero and Unforgiven had really bad DVD transfers, so I know you're just going from the best possible source at the time). I don't usually see a lot of activity on the forum, but I do reply if someone sends me a message on the discussion page.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markost View Post
Checkman. He´s simply epic.
You can't see me, but I'm blushing. Gracias.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Site Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
It was a serious question, and you answered it. Now here's my reply.

I'm not "bitching or whining", I'm stating my case, that's all. I'll admit I was a little insulted when I didn't see my name, but my presence here has lowered some and on the surface it seems I don't do much here. If I'd had admin this whole time I would have more of a sense of duty and a saber to wave at other people if they're being unruly. As just another account holder here I either have to go through one of my friends to get certain things done (locking a page, getting people banned or disciplining less than reputable members).

As far as a page making resume goes though, building an entire page can take up a whole day (especially when you can't lock a page, something only admins can do) and renting or buying DVDs costs money. I don't usually have the time or money to build lots and lots of pages but I do little edits on the existing pages when I can, and I help others with their pages, and even that takes a lot of work. In other words, I don't think it's fair to judge someone's amount of productivity on the site solely on how many pages they have listed on their userpage. That's far too simplistic.

There are a dozen other factors, like micro-edits and fixing existing pages (what I usually do, and something we have talked about doing before making new movie pages in the first place), helping others with their pages, working on the gun pages, and helping with discussions and determining "unknown" guns. Not to mention there is a finite amount of movies we can add to the site, and if everyone decides to call out and stack pages, there isn't much left for people like me to do but what I would call "support work" like fixing their errors or determining guns.

I've been around here for a long stretch of time and I've done my part as well as I can with the personal constraints that I have, and when I see that people are being nominated based on (minus their character) one thing, the amount of pages they've built, I just don't see it as completely logical. Maybe on the surface but there are other things that people do that can't be tacked onto their user page.

Honestly I don't see how I came off as bitchy or whiny in the first place with my original post. I asked a simple question, and followed up with another legitimate question, and somehow that constitutes as "bitching and whining". I think that comes from you having a low opinion of me in some way. I'm sorry if you read my type and it immediately sounds like a bitching and whining in your head, but I don't think it's grounds to discredit me like you do. If I get admin, I get it, if I don't, I don't. I'm just illustrating why I think I should in the best way I can, and I'm even being a good sport about who is actually in the running. If you can't respect all this, or at least respond to me with less condescension, I don't think I can maintain the respect I have for you, Matt, and believe me I've got nothing but respect for you and all the senior members here.
Respectfully noted.

Welcome to our three new admins.

Thread locked.
Closed Thread