imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default We have to change the foreign country/produced category......

We have to change the 'foreign country/produced....' category to just the country that actually made the film, NOT the countries where the film was shot.

In movies like the James Bond 007 films, they make an effort to send film crews all over the world but I would not count any Bond movie to be representative of any other country's cinema, that would be ridiculous.

For example. Man with the Golden Gun. It was filmed in Thailand, Hong Kong, Macau, and England. The production companies were Eon Productions and Danjaq LLC. Both BRITISH COMPANIES. With financial backing from United Artists and distribution by U/A MGM.

We must separate the produced by category to reflect ONLY films which represent their origin countries. If I'm looking for cinema that is indicative of Thai's own film industry, I'm not gonna look at a James Bond movie.

People are listing every country where a movie was filmed in. And that is how the category was first created. It states "Country Produced/Filmed" We need to change that to Country Produced..... only.

I say we should change the category. I for one, don't need to know every country where a movie was filmed, since so many countries are represented only by 2nd unit film crews. But knowing what country actually MADE the movie is interesting. We are starting to see more and more representations from Russian, German, Czech, French, et. al cinema. We need to clarify our production category ONLY to list the production companies and not the various locations that the crew filmed in.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Jcordell; 04-23-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
We have to change the 'foreign country/produced....' category to just the country that actually made the film, NOT the countries where the film was shot.

In movies like the James Bond 007 films, they make an effort to send film crews all over the world but I would not count any Bond movie to be representative of any other country's cinema, that would be ridiculous.

For example. Man with the Golden Gun. It was filmed in Thailand, Hong Kong, Macau, and England. The production companies were Eon Productions and Danjaq LLC. Both BRITISH COMPANIES. With financial backing from United Artists and distribution by U/A MGM.

We must separate the produced by category to reflect ONLY films which represent their origin countries. If I'm looking for cinema that is indicative of Thai's own film industry, I'm not gonna look at a James Bond movie.

People are listing every country where a movie was filmed in. And that is how the category was first created. It states "Country Produced/Filmed" We need to change that to Country Produced..... only.

I say we should change the category. I for one, don't need to know every country where a movie was filmed, since so many countries are represented only by 2nd unit film crews. But knowing what country actually MADE the movie is interesting. We are starting to see more and more representations from Russian, German, Czech, French, et. al cinema. We need to clarify our production category ONLY to list the production companies and not the various locations that the crew filmed in.

Thoughts?
Sounds okay, but you will still get multiple listings if people read the credits carefully at imdb. For example The Cassandra Crossing was produced by British, Italian, Swedish and French companies. However there are other movies like The Ghost and the Darkness which was filmed in South Africa but was produced by Paramount and Micheal Douglas - which is American. So G&H is listed in the South African Produced/Filmed category. It is confusing. Sure it works for me. Serves to clarify things.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 PM

Yeah, that sounds good to me, too.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 04-24-2012, 01:43 AM
IMFDB Admin

In terms of the Bond example, I agree. However, I made a page for a god awful movie called 7 Seconds which I listed as Romanian Produced/Filmed. However, it was not (as far as I can tell) produced by a Romanian company, but it was entirely shot in Bucharest and features a number of firearms that are uniquely Romanian such as the Dracula md. 98 machine pistol and Sadu ASALT-96 SMG. In your opinion should this qualify for the Romanian tag? There are other films that also have firearms heavily influenced by their location, such as Bulgaria and South Africa, where listing the country it was filmed in helps in getting weapon IDs even if they are not produced by the country in question.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:10 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
In terms of the Bond example, I agree. However, I made a page for a god awful movie called 7 Seconds which I listed as Romanian Produced/Filmed. However, it was not (as far as I can tell) produced by a Romanian company, but it was entirely shot in Bucharest and features a number of firearms that are uniquely Romanian such as the Dracula md. 98 machine pistol and Sadu ASALT-96 SMG. In your opinion should this qualify for the Romanian tag? There are other films that also have firearms heavily influenced by their location, such as Bulgaria and South Africa, where listing the country it was filmed in helps in getting weapon IDs even if they are not produced by the country in question.
I'm thinking a "filming location" category to help with that. But remember that I believe in being clear as to the background of the actual production companies.

What made me more interested in this was, frankly, the relatively recent BURST of foreign films in IMFDB. Fascinating and frankly kinda exciting to see all these interesting titles of films I've never seen, much less heard of. Now I'm interested in seeing all of the examples of, say, Australian, Romanian, South African, German, Japanese, Czech, Russian, Hungarian, etc. etc. cinema and see how the film industries of various countries present their own art forms.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I think separating the location and production is a great idea.

My issue with the production question, however, is where do we get that info? For example, I ran into this issue when I finished "Fifty Dead Men Walking," and was wondering how to do the produced tag. Now, if you go the IMDb page and just click on "Filming locations," it just lays it all out: Northern Ireland. But the film also won a bunch of Genie and Leo awards, which are only given to Canadian films. I went to the company credits link in IMDb, and I get a laundry list of production companies, one of which is Telefilm Canada, but yet another is Northern Ireland Screen. Where can we go for a definitive, black and white answer?

(Ultimately, I just went with "Canadian Produced/Filmed," but that was just an educated guess.)
Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I don't think Categories are moveable. Should we just start changing the categories manually?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:51 AM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I don't think Categories are moveable. Should we just start changing the categories manually?
They aren't moveable but you can re-direct them. So to move CATEGORY 1 to CATEGORY 2, just change to the code on the CATEGORY 1 page to:

#REDIRECT [[category:CATEGORY 2]]

What is a page that you are trying to move? I'll show you.

-Z
Old 05-06-2012, 03:54 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmann08 View Post
They aren't moveable but you can re-direct them. So to move CATEGORY 1 to CATEGORY 2, just change to the code on the CATEGORY 1 page to:

#REDIRECT [[category:CATEGORY 2]]

What is a page that you are trying to move? I'll show you.

-Z
<Country> Produced/Filmed should actually be just <Country> Produced. Having the "Filmed" in the name makes people believe that it's the filming location.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:05 AM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

CRAP. I was wrong. It didnt work and when I looked it up on Media wiki I found this:

Unlike other wiki pages, it is not possible to rename (move) a category. It is necessary to create a new category and change the Category tag on every page. The new category will not have the older category's page history, which is undesirable if there are many revisions.

Sorry man. Looks like this WILL have to be done the hard way...