imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 01-30-2009, 07:47 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Ultimate Force

A good series, but better if it had a better armorer. I mean, all we see is outdated M16 designs and no M4s, just shorty M16 variants. At least they got the MP5s and SIGs right on.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-30-2009, 08:12 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I stand corrected, in season 4, they got M4s...at least what looks like M4s, at least one of them have barrels that are longer than they show. Could be civilian converted

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
At least they got the MP5s and SIGs right on.
Aside from Jamie using a P225 in Season 2. I can't imagine why he would use that instead of a P228.

This show's first two seasons were really good, but the third (which I have on DVD) sucked. It was better when Chris Ryan was still the technical advisor and it made a halfway-decent attempt at realism. After that, it became an action vehicle for Ross Kemp and a lot less realistic. Like the scene in the first episode of Season 3 where Becca jumps through the air in slow-motion and fires at a terrorist, John Woo-style.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 PM
IMFDB Admin

I wouldn't call it a John Woo style. I saw it in The Unit's pilot episode where we see Jonas storming into the hijacked plane and everything went slow, but it was better in The Unit, because the slow-mo was meant to show us the precision and the mind of what was going on for Jonas, for that show, it wasn't just a standard slow-mo, we see slow, then normal speed, then slow again to set the pace of the scene.

At least we finally see Red Troop in season 4 with M4s, shows at least they got a better armorer.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Besides the fact that it was in slow-motion, it's also the fact that she literally jumped through the air while firing the gun sideways.

Also, there are lots of episodes of "The Unit" that were not realistic.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 PM
IMFDB Admin

Yeah, I can name one at least in The Unit that isn't realistic. Like the episode where 4 of them went into the field with M16 rifles with 20 round magazines. I get it if one of them has one as a designated marksman rifle, but all of them?

Old 02-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Trijicon

Glad to see that the Ultimate Force thread has been tidied up, it looks great

Just wanted to add a couple of guns to the list.

In the episode "The list" the terrorist operative is given a Walther P99 to use. I think it is one of the second gen ones, without the fugly as hell finger-guard.

In episode 1.2 with the AW-50 & the anti-globalist protestors, the black woman uses a stainless or nickel framed IMI Jericho.

In 3.1 (I think), at Ed's funeral the squaddies who fire the 21 shots are using L98A1 training rifles, not the standard issue L85A1's. You can tell this because they manually cock after each shot, which you would have to do with the semi-auto L85's. However in the other funeral they do use regular L85A1's in semi.
The L98's are used by cadets and come in two versions; one kind have the gas-system removed and are therefore bolt-action rifles, used only on the range; the others have all their internals welded together so they are inoperable and are used whilst the cadets are running about so they don't slot each other.

And as a last point; in the last episode of season two when Henno and the officer are fighting through the building (a couple of mins before Henno frags the officer). Henno reloads his M16, when he pulls the charging handle the extractor fails and a round jams forcing the charging handle to stick out by about four inches. I dunno if you'd want to stick a screen-cap up there of it but in the Punisher 2004 article someone pointed out all the stovepipes.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:16 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trijicon View Post
In 3.1 (I think), at Ed's funeral the squaddies who fire the 21 shots are using L98A1 training rifles, not the standard issue L85A1's. You can tell this because they manually cock after each shot, which you would have to do with the semi-auto L85's. However in the other funeral they do use regular L85A1's in semi.
There's another explanation...the rifles used in that scene may not have been properly outfitted for blank fire on semi or auto. All of the guns you see in movies that fire on semi-automatic and fully automatic have been specially converted to fire blanks by plugging their barrels internally and carrying out other modifications. Without the barrel plugged, the gun won't cycle, because blanks don't generate enough pressure for normal function. The L85s in that scene may not have been plugged internally, but they might still be standard L85s and not L98s.

Props on the other weapons you noticed.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Trijicon

I didn't think of that really.

I just assumed that they phoned up their local TA branch and got them to do the scene. I don't know how likely it is that the British Army would go for that though, improper use of equipment/uniform etc.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 PM
IMFDB Admin

Also, the L98 training rifle for cadets have a special charging handle so cadets can pull the action back easily.

http://www.freewebs.com/wednesfield-atc/90.JPG

You can tell from the picture above how the charging handle makes it very noticable than that of the charging handle of the L85. The ones seen in the series don't have this and I don't think they would completely dress 4 of these rifles to look like L85 just for this one scene.

Also I don't think in 1.2 "Just a Target", that was a Jericho since the only close shot I could see of the gun in the black woman's hand is too boxy shape, more of a 1911 commander variant because of the size.

Last edited by Excalibur; 02-07-2009 at 11:28 PM.