imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 05-29-2013, 06:39 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default Credits

I was in a spirited discussion regarding production credits last night, and it brought up something I've been wondering for a few years: What does it mean when a production company is listed as "presents" or "in association with" like here?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I was in a spirited discussion regarding production credits last night, and it brought up something I've been wondering for a few years: What does it mean when a production company is listed as "presents" or "in association with" like here?
Presents usually identifies the producer's company.

EVIL TIM
presents
A funkychinaman Film

Evil Tim is the producer, though sometimes it is used in the hierachy of higher to lower level production companies.

EVIL TIM
presents
A StanTheMan production of
A funkychinaman Film

Evil Tim is the top level company, usually involved in the distribution and financing. StanTheMan is usually the producer or the actual production company that shoots the project, and lastly Funkychinaman is the director.

"In Association with" can be seen two ways, a real alliance with another production company who took over half the work, or a 'gimme' vanity credit given to a producer's company that is a reward for acquiring funding or promoting the film.

A slight digression here:
Associate producer is a common 'vanity credit' given to people as a freebie for helping the production in some way. IN the MOVIE industry, it is almost a meaningless title, however in the TV industry, many times it is a real credit, since TV crews tended to make Assoc Producers actually WORK for their meals
Old 07-05-2013, 02:46 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Presents usually identifies the producer's company.

EVIL TIM
presents
A funkychinaman Film

Evil Tim is the producer, though sometimes it is used in the hierachy of higher to lower level production companies.

EVIL TIM
presents
A StanTheMan production of
A funkychinaman Film

Evil Tim is the top level company, usually involved in the distribution and financing. StanTheMan is usually the producer or the actual production company that shoots the project, and lastly Funkychinaman is the director.

"In Association with" can be seen two ways, a real alliance with another production company who took over half the work, or a 'gimme' vanity credit given to a producer's company that is a reward for acquiring funding or promoting the film.

A slight digression here:
Associate producer is a common 'vanity credit' given to people as a freebie for helping the production in some way. IN the MOVIE industry, it is almost a meaningless title, however in the TV industry, many times it is a real credit, since TV crews tended to make Assoc Producers actually WORK for their meals
Thanks, I had actually given up on getting an answer.

I asked because I use this info when determining "______ Produced/Filmed" categories for a page. Do you think we should take into account the countries of the "Presents" and "in Association with" companies?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Thanks, I had actually given up on getting an answer.

I asked because I use this info when determining "______ Produced/Filmed" categories for a page. Do you think we should take into account the countries of the "Presents" and "in Association with" companies?
Why should we care about the nationality of the company that financed or distributed the movie? The actual MAKER of the movie is the production company. Also we're in danger of making IMDB so unwieldy with, let's face it, useless information that we will never get caught up.

I've given up trying to catch up. I used to dream of a day when we would get any and all entries on IMFDB fully cross referenced and complete. But there are too many NEW PAGE and NEW ENTRIES which are incomplete, flooding IMFDB every day.

I suggest a yearly freeze on new entries (perhaps for a few weeks) where people MUST help us complete and finish existing pages that are incomplete and cannot continue the floodgates of new pages without helping us fix old ones. But then that's just my opinion.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:59 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Why should we care about the nationality of the company that financed or distributed the movie? The actual MAKER of the movie is the production company. Also we're in danger of making IMDB so unwieldy with, let's face it, useless information that we will never get caught up.

I've given up trying to catch up. I used to dream of a day when we would get any and all entries on IMFDB fully cross referenced and complete. But there are too many NEW PAGE and NEW ENTRIES which are incomplete, flooding IMFDB every day.

I suggest a yearly freeze on new entries (perhaps for a few weeks) where people MUST help us complete and finish existing pages that are incomplete and cannot continue the floodgates of new pages without helping us fix old ones. But then that's just my opinion.
I've been doing my best to clear out the incomplete pages. I don't allow noobs to create incomplete pages, and I've been purging many of the existing incomplete pages. I usually give them two weeks in the delete category to see if anyone wants them before they get the boot. I've also completed a few of the incomplete pages on my own.