imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 07-15-2012, 06:38 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Upcoming Tag

Need a clarification of when to change the "Upcoming Tag". Should this be removed when the film has been released in theaters or when the media is released on home video? It's confusing right now to have a banner that says a film is "unreleased" after the film is out in theaters. Perhaps the banner should be changed to the "Incomplete" tag after it's released in theaters?

Perhaps a change needs to be made to the banner? Admins, please respond.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm the one that brought it up, so I think I should explain my side. The theatrical release date really has no meaning to us in the context of completing the page. The only one that really counts for us is the home video release date: the date from which screencaps can be legally obtained. (As outlined in the rules.) The upcoming tag also serves as a disclaimer, reminding users that any caps that are already present on the page come from only trailers or otherwise legal sources. ("Any screenshots used are from official Trailers and sources.") This would be especially important on pages like "The Avengers" that receive high traffic.

I don't think slapping on an incomplete tag upon theatrical release would be accurate. The page will be stuck in limbo for months, unable to be finished in the time between theatrical and home release dates. At least the present tag explain that. (The Ongoing tag serves a similar function for TV shows)

I do agree with Ben that "unreleased" isn't really the best term. Maybe a new template should be made up. A "Not yet available" tag?
Old 07-15-2012, 04:29 PM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

I completely agree with both of you. "Incomplete" indicates that someone has not put in enough effort on the page and is definitely a negative thing. Its not really fair to slap an incomplete tag on something that isn't yet available on video since nothing more can be added to the page.

I recommend changing the text of the "upcoming" template so that it explains that this page is for a movie (or game) that is not yet available for screen capping. I can also throw in a optional release date attribute. So for example using just {{upcoming}} would display the normal template with the new updated text, while using {{upcoming|7/15/12}} would add a line to the template saying that this piece of media is set for release on July 15th, 2012. That way if say August 1st rolls around and nothing has been added to the page, THEN we can switch it to an "incomplete" tag. Sound good?

-Z
Old 07-15-2012, 04:48 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmann08 View Post
I completely agree with both of you. "Incomplete" indicates that someone has not put in enough effort on the page and is definitely a negative thing. Its not really fair to slap an incomplete tag on something that isn't yet available on video since nothing more can be added to the page.

I recommend changing the text of the "upcoming" template so that it explains that this page is for a movie (or game) that is not yet available for screen capping. I can also throw in a optional release date attribute. So for example using just {{upcoming}} would display the normal template with the new updated text, while using {{upcoming|7/15/12}} would add a line to the template saying that this piece of media is set for release on July 15th, 2012. That way if say August 1st rolls around and nothing has been added to the page, THEN we can switch it to an "incomplete" tag. Sound good?

-Z
That only problem is that the home video release date might not be known that far in advance. It's easy enough to check online. DVDs are released on Tuesdays, so you'd only have to check once a week.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 AM

Maybe changing the "not yet released" to "not yet officially released on DVD/Blu-Ray" or something like that? I know it's a bit long, but it makes it clear all in one swoop that the home DVD release is what matters to us and that we'll only accept screencaps from officially licensed copies of the film.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

As this tag can also apply to games I don't think "DVD/Blu-Ray" is suitable, maybe "home media" or something like that instead?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
That only problem is that the home video release date might not be known that far in advance. It's easy enough to check online. DVDs are released on Tuesdays, so you'd only have to check once a week.

The date would be optional. So if/when the date is know, it can be added. :-)
Old 08-01-2012, 08:58 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Template:NowShowing

Just playing around. Thoughts?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 PM

Image is a little taller than I'd like it to be but otherwise, i think its wonderful!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I tweaked it a bit and used a different image.