imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 05-19-2009, 11:31 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default What's with the ever worsening SPELLING on IMFDB pages?

The typos and misspelling are getting atrocious, particularly the pages of new users.

Usually a word when misspelled will have a RED LINE appear underneath it to alert the writer that this word doesn't exist when spelled like that.

Users, try to utilize that little form of spell checking when writing a page. Misspelling every other word just makes your page look lame.

Thus ends this PSA announcement. Thank you for your attention.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:55 AM
IMFDB Admin

I don't have a spell check when working on the site, so I'm confused. I usually spell correct but everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes me more than others.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I don't have a spell check when working on the site, so I'm confused. I usually spell correct but everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes me more than others.
You should see the thin red line appear when you misspell a word and then hit the space bar. Try it intentionally and see if your screen shows a red highlight line underneath the misspelled word.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:10 AM

That's right.
GM is so good at spelling he has been misled to believe that his computer HAS no spellchecker.
I'm pretty sure my spelling is impeccable and my grammar is serviceable if somewhat unorthodox.

One thing that comes to mind is the Matrix Revolutions page. I took a look at it and fixed up some truly astounding errors, such as a lack of punctuation, no capitalization of letters, misuse of plural(you can't pluralize Morpheus as Morpheus's... Morpheuses? Honestly?) and bad sentence structure.
With it being a popular movie, you'd think someone would have done something earlier. Hopefully GM you will take care of it?

Last edited by ManiacallyChallenged; 05-20-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 PM

I have a spell check program on my comp. I try to correct any misspellings that I run on.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-20-2009, 08:32 PM
IMFDB Admin

I'm afraid I don't have that spell check.

And have no fear, I plan on filling out the other Matrix films as well. The spelling is bad on that page because Drjuki, a 10 year old on the site, has some spelling issues. I suggested he use spell check on Microsoft word and paste the information on the site when he's done.

I'd do that too but it's an extra step I'm too lazy to take, so I just try to spell correctly and look over the page when I'm done.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 PM

That's good enough, I think.
I don't know about you, but I'm pretty anal about spelling, so I get these wonderful reserves of spastic energy with which to change them. Weird.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:56 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I forget, does Internet Explorer have the auto spell-check? I haven't used it in about 3 years, so I have no idea if it does. I use Firefox now.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Sometimes I don't change errors when I see them. It's wierd but, I figure someone will see I changed something on the page when it is shown on the main page and go to check and be disappointed to see I changed a single letter.

I wish when you selected MINOR EDIT, it would cancel out showing it on the main page, like saying "It's no big deal, no need to check it out."

But then those damn anonymous users would use it to avoid us admins. removing their crap, so maybe this privalage could be removed from them?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:13 AM

Wait, what does minor edit do?
I always used it to avoid spamming the main page with updates when I check to see that my links work, but if that's not what it does, then I dunno why I bother.