imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 05-20-2009, 08:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Actors Pages

I have notice that a lot of show pages have actor links but the actor pages have not been created or are incomplete. The completed actor page should have a photo of the actor preferably with a firearm if not then a clear image and set up as shown below.

[[Image:Bataan14.jpg|thumb|right|500px|'''Robert Taylor''' as Sergeant Bill Dane in [[Bataan]] (1943).]]
'''Robert Taylor can be seen using the following firearms in the following films:'''

Then list the Weapon, Character Name, Show Tile, and Date the show was released as shown below.

* [[M1911 pistol series|Colt 1911 Pistol]] as Sergeant Bill Dane in ''[[Bataan]]'' (1943)

The listing should be in reversed chronological order with the most resent at the top of the list. That way if some is looking up an actor they can see all the pages that the actor has used firearms listed on IMFDB. It make for a more professional look in stead of an incomplete project.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

I noticed you make a page for every actor on the pages, and screencap invidual images of the actor alone. I commend you on this, and I'd do it myself if my screencap save folder didn't have a limit to the images I can hold at a time (roughly 100, but it always changes to screw me up). Since I take enough caps of the guns, there isn't much room for actor images.

Sometimes I'm also not sure if I'm crediting the right actor to the right role, so I don't want to make a page for the wrong person.

One thing though, you don't neccessarily upload an image of the actor alone if there is an image already on the site where they are clearly seen using a gun. I think it would probably save more server space, although it does make it easier to make actor pages.... So I guess the choice is up to you.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:25 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Sometimes I'm also not sure if I'm crediting the right actor to the right role, so I don't want to make a page for the wrong person.
I google the actors name just to be sure that it's the correct face to the name. It takes sometime but comes out nice in the end.

Quote:
One thing though, you don't neccessarily upload an image of the actor alone if there is an image already on the site where they are clearly seen using a gun. I think it would probably save more server space, although it does make it easier to make actor pages.... So I guess the choice is up to you.
I agree on using an image that is already part of the page and I try to do that as much as possible. I prefer that the image is of the actor with the firearm for the actor page but sometimes that's not an option at that moment. I set up mine so I can remove the filler image when I come across the same actor in another film. I have just seen several pages that have great shots of the actors but no image on the actors page or no actors page. I am working on fixing some of my earlier pages now but it takes time going back through them.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Sorry, I completely disagree, many of the images on the page are selected because they show the GUN clearly, not the ACTOR. I started doing dedicated actor images because I tried a couple of times to get a decent shot of the actor's face and wasted too much time scanning through shots that were obviously picked because they showed clear and non-blurry shots of the gun. And in some of the shots the actor either looked like crap or they looked like someone else.

It doesn't take any more server space to add a decent face shot of an actor which doesn't have them wincing or blinking or blurry or sweating or doing something otherwise weird looking ... just because they have a gun in their hand.

If anyone is thinking about saving server space we should not have 10-20 shots of the same firearm per section, like we do on some pages.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 AM

I try not to get gun pictures with people in the middle blinking or talking if I can help it.
Nothing says unprofessional like:
"This retard is Bruce Willis holding a sexy Beretta."
People look awful when they are in the middle of talking.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
If anyone is thinking about saving server space we should not have 10-20 shots of the same firearm per section, like we do on some pages.