imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Or, you know, they could make a new franchise rather than changing a fundamental part of a character (Bond is outright stated to have been meant to be a white, womanizing, borderline alcoholic) just so that they can make a low-effort movie no one can criticize without people ripping them a new asshole over "misogyny" (hey, just like the new Ghostbusters!)
I dunno, a womanising female James Bond would have a certain appeal
Old 06-06-2016, 01:33 AM

^ This fellow gets it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Or, you know, they could make a new franchise rather than changing a fundamental part of a character (Bond is outright stated to have been meant to be a white, womanizing, borderline alcoholic) just so that they can make a low-effort movie no one can criticize without people ripping them a new asshole over "misogyny" (hey, just like the new Ghostbusters!)
Trust me that came to mind.. Difference is I think a woman (especially one like Gilly) could make a decent go at replicating Bond in some respects, while I don't think anybody - female or otherwise - could begin to in any way replicate what Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis and Hudson had. Fair point about starting something new, though - Why does it so often have to be within some existing framework or basis? Bah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I hate how they think if they reverse gender iconic character for the sake of being PC, that it makes a good character. As a parody, sure. Even as something serious...maybe.
Again, I'm with ya. I don't care for gender to be used as a gimmick as stated earlier. That said I don't see it so much to be the case with Bond, and even so still feel it would work out better, or at least has a better chance, anyway.

In other news, I've heard the new TMNT has been a big improvement, while Fallout 4 seems to now be declining into near sucks shit level. Again, just what I've been hearing.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
Trust me that came to mind.. Difference is I think a woman (especially one like Gilly) could make a decent go at replicating Bond in some respects, while I don't think anybody - female or otherwise - could begin to in any way replicate what Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis and Hudson had. Fair point about starting something new, though - Why does it so often have to be within some existing framework or basis? Bah..
I see it as being totally the other way around. Changing the gender of Bond would be a fundamental change, as so much of his character and previous story lines is tied into him being a man. On the other hand, the gender of the Ghostbusters is largely irrelevant to the story for the most part. Put it this way, if you replace the Ghostbusters in the original film with women, you really don't have to do much rewriting. If you do the same with pretty much and Bond film, it falls apart.

Another point, Bond has to be able to physically fight Bond henchmen. I have no idea why people think a 5' 2" tall 50 year old women who in no way is regarded for their physicality is a good fit for an MI6 field agent who can beat pretty much any opponent in a fight.

I personally think that the way to go if they want a female version of bond would be to have her be in the next film as a fellow agent and then if well received spin her off into her own film. As for casting they would definitely go younger than Gillian Anderson, someone more like Emily Blunt would be more realistic. Or they could go even younger to invest more in a series and cast somebody like Alicia Vikander or Daisy Ridley. I would buy both of these actresses as being physically up to the job, as they will both be in shape from Tomb Raider and Star Wars respectively.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:12 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Emily Blunt is a good actress...but they really need to coach her through fight scenes and get her to look tough like back in Edge of Tomorrow. When I saw her in Sicario...I did not believe for a second that she was this FBI "doorbuster" bad ass.

I think they should keep James Bond as James Bond for the future and if they want a female James Bond then just be original with the name and not let the legacy of the character drive a following for the new movie. Because that's why I see with the new Ghostbusters. They did a half ass casting and most likely a half ass story banking on the nostalgia and legacy of the previous Ghostbuster movies to gain an audience. If they had change the setting, name of the movie and banked on a new idea of Ghostbusters without calling it Ghostbusters, then it's asking too much of lazy writers who wanted to do the whole gender reversal because it's "hip" these days.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-06-2016, 06:18 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Let's keep in mind that the legacy of Ghostbusters is one good movie, one bad movie, a cartoon that didn't have image rights of the original actors, a video game, and of course, one of the greatest soft drinks of all time. That's not much to go on.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

But at no point did the franchise said "Let's make a reboot with the entire case having complete gender reversal, regardless if there are actually 4 good female actresses that can pull it of and waste Chris Hemsworth in the cast. Make no reference to the original and work the movie like it's a new idea, but not". The makers of this movie did this solely to appease the new generation of feminism, thinking this will get them to buy tickets and missing the point entirely.

The first cartoon, looking back, wasn't actually bad despite that they couldn't use the images of the actors with a sorta "new age" sequel series that kinda worked out. If anything, this movie shoulda been based on that, young kids taking up the mantle and adding their new generation into the mix.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-06-2016, 06:43 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
I personally think that the way to go if they want a female version of bond would be to have her be in the next film as a fellow agent and then if well received spin her off into her own film.
As I recall, wasn't that the idea with Jinx in Die Another Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Let's keep in mind that the legacy of Ghostbusters is one good movie, one bad movie, a cartoon that didn't have image rights of the original actors, a video game, and of course, one of the greatest soft drinks of all time. That's not much to go on.
And another cartoon series where one of the guys was in a wheelchair because being inclusive means lying to children that disabilities don't, you know, make you unable to do some stuff. It was called Extreme Ghostbusters and all I remember is that in one episode, of all the damn things in the world, they had bad guys who were knockoffs of the Cenobites from Hellraiser. You know, for kids.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
When I saw her in Sicario...I did not believe for a second that she was this FBI "doorbuster" bad ass.
That was the whole point, I think; she was supposed to be badass but was pretty useless, and the CIA guys knew it but rolled with it because they had to, and initially made it seem like she mattered to play towards that badass self image she had so she'd go along with stuff easier

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-07-2016, 11:55 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
But at no point did the franchise said "Let's make a reboot with the entire case having complete gender reversal, regardless if there are actually 4 good female actresses that can pull it of and waste Chris Hemsworth in the cast. Make no reference to the original and work the movie like it's a new idea, but not". The makers of this movie did this solely to appease the new generation of feminism, thinking this will get them to buy tickets and missing the point entirely.

The first cartoon, looking back, wasn't actually bad despite that they couldn't use the images of the actors with a sorta "new age" sequel series that kinda worked out. If anything, this movie shoulda been based on that, young kids taking up the mantle and adding their new generation into the mix.
Yes, it's a reboot, like BSG and Star Trek before it. People are reacting like they're rebooting the Gospel and replacing Jesus with a woman. Frankly, I don't think Hollywood gives a crap about being PC, they'll try anything if it makes money. Look at how they're treating Red China with kid gloves in order to milk that market. Trying to market a film to women, half of the population, makes sense.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:00 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post

And another cartoon series where one of the guys was in a wheelchair because being inclusive means lying to children that disabilities don't, you know, make you unable to do some stuff. It was called Extreme Ghostbusters and all I remember is that in one episode, of all the damn things in the world, they had bad guys who were knockoffs of the Cenobites from Hellraiser. You know, for kids.
I remember they did a HP Lovecraft tribute in the original series as well.