imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2010, 02:37 AM

Question Region-appropriate firearms: South America

After doing a lot of work on the Boiling Point: Road to Hell page, I was wondering just how appropriate the firearms on that page are to the location the game takes place in (a fictional country modelled after elements of Colombia and Bolivia). AK-47s and IMBEL-MD3s? Sure. A Colt Anaconda in the pants of every "able-bodied" male civilian? Not so much. The Government military forces using M16s instead of the IMBEL rifles, the latter of which happen to be the standard-issue for the Drug Lords of the game? Not really believable, either.

I'm also surprised that Colt Anacondas feature so heavily in the game, when smaller, more practical pistols like the Taurus PT92 or PT1911 could be more reasonalbe carry pieces for the average civilian in the game. Replacing the Colt Anaconda with the Taurus Raging Bull might have been appropriate as well. Can anyone fill me in on what would have been more appropriate for a film or game set in a South American country with high rates of criminality, drug use, a group of insurgents running in the jungle and Narco-thugs everywhere? (Of course, that description already encompasses too many real life South American countries).

I'm also at a loss for other "local" firearms companies in South America--IMBEL and Taurus International are the only South American firearms manufacturers I know about, but surely they can't be the only ones. They're just the most well-known, right? Kind of how Colt is just the most famous American small-arms manufacturer, but is by no means the only one of note. I'd appreciate it if anyone could clear this up.

Finally, if you've read this far, I'm sure you've noticed that the Boiling Point page is still largely full of "unknown" entries because my own limited knowledge with firearm identification. Any relevant help there is something I'd also appreciate, and the page is here.

Last edited by Mazryonh; 08-10-2010 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Missed a link.

Tags
game guns south america