imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-12-2017, 02:43 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'm also questioning the purpose of something a gimmicky sounding as "Modular". As if it was purpose built to be that mindset. For basic infantry that are issued a sidearm, why does it matter if it can be changed into a more compact weapon? It's a sidearm that will most likely not see use. While Special Forces type will most likely see more uses with pistols, their loadout should change depending on the mission they are on, unless they plan to bring different frames and slides to drop the P320's internal while out on the field?

I can understand the concept of having a purpose built weapon if it was a rifle, but I don't see the need to have it on a pistol.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-14-2017, 05:48 AM

The way I'm thinking, it may be partly so if the frame wears out/breaks, they can really easily change it without having to get into the mess of keeping track of serials, since the serialized part is that little chassis

frame crack? toss that bitch in the trash, get another out of the big-ass box of them you have laying around

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-14-2017, 02:48 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

They do test pistols under extreme conditions and it's the military. They can replace entire weapon systems if shit happens to it. The US military certainly has the budget for it.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM

While unrelated to MHS, I feel compelled to reveal that SIG beat Glock AGAIN!

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 04-17-2018, 02:27 PM
IMFDB Admin

This in light of other branches like the US Marines adopting it.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:21 PM

I'm personally wondering if the SIG P220 in 10mm sold enough for SIG-Sauer to try manufacturing a 10mm version of their SIG P320 handgun. Now that's something that US armed forces should try. With a pistol that can reliably hit targets without much ballistic drop past 50 yards while retaining a lot of energy beyond that distance, a soldier could carry one of these and honestly say s/he's not carrying a peashooter.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I'm personally wondering if the SIG P220 in 10mm sold enough for SIG-Sauer to try manufacturing a 10mm version of their SIG P320 handgun. Now that's something that US armed forces should try. With a pistol that can reliably hit targets without much ballistic drop past 50 yards while retaining a lot of energy beyond that distance, a soldier could carry one of these and honestly say s/he's not carrying a peashooter.
Except 10mm Auto isn't NATO standard and never will be. Besides, you're not engaging with a pistol at 50+ yards. You're using a pistol at under 10.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
This in light of other branches like the US Marines adopting it.
The other branches adopting it is likely just a formality. It's highly unlikely they could justify buying more M9s while the Army is buying thousands of M17s and M18s. Besides, I'm pretty sure the Danish trials started before the other branches committed to MHS.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 04-18-2018, 05:59 PM
IMFDB Admin

Formality is one way to put it. Though since pistols aren't a primary weapon and aren't issued to everybody, it isn't the most important thing

Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Except 10mm Auto isn't NATO standard and never will be. Besides, you're not engaging with a pistol at 50+ yards. You're using a pistol at under 10.
The process of something being admitted to, or barred from, becoming a NATO standard is a bit fuzzy. The US Armed Forces went with 5.56mm NATO in the Vietnam War long before it became a NATO standard in 1980. There was also the indefinite postponement of 5.7x28mm becoming a NATO standard when the Germans complained about their 4.6x30mm round being left out.

The infrastructure for widespread 10mm Auto manufacturing already exists, in the form of .40 S&W manufacturing lines (because .40 S&W cases are just 3mm shorter than 10mm Auto cases). Furthermore, using 10mm Auto in an compact-SMG-type (perhaps with an MP7-style layout) platform instead of 5.56mm SBRs can save money and soldiers' hearing, because SBRs waste a lot of powder in the casings with every shot, and SMGs are much easier to suppress efficiently from short barrels than SBRs, and SMGs are also quieter than SBRs when unsuppressed.

I still think it would be interesting if SIG-Sauer puts out a 10mm version of their M17 and M18 handguns and some gun vlogger tests it alongside the 9x19mm versions. If it comes down to the handgun or SMG, at least the ballistic performance and barrier-blind performance of the 10mm Auto over the 9mm Para will mean that the soldier with that handgun or SMG will be that much more capable.

Last edited by Mazryonh; 04-19-2018 at 02:16 AM.