imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-08-2014, 09:28 PM

Yeah.... they actually still use that. It was on the grip caps of all the 111 series rifles with synthetic stocks up until a couple of years ago, and it's still on all their boxes and catalogues.

According to their website in 1919 they licenced Chief Lame Deer's likeness in perpetuity in exchange for Model 99 rifles for his band. Although seeing as they've been using that logo since 1903....
Old 07-09-2014, 06:12 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Yeah.... they actually still use that. It was on the grip caps of all the 111 series rifles with synthetic stocks up until a couple of years ago, and it's still on all their boxes and catalogues.

According to their website in 1919 they licenced Chief Lame Deer's likeness in perpetuity in exchange for Model 99 rifles for his band. Although seeing as they've been using that logo since 1903....
Wow. For all the controversy over the Washington Redskins thing, this has sort of flown under the radar.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Finally, and least exotic, I picked up a 1945 Ishevsk Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine, to replace the 1953 Polish production one I sold a few years ago. I wanted a wartime example as used during the advance into Germany, and this one fit the bill nicely! The nice thing about this one is unlike most of the WW2 Mosins out there it's not a refurb, and has the original unshellaced stock.
M44 seems to be the handiest Mosin. I love mine. Everyone else hates it, but I love it

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-11-2014, 04:52 AM

My only problem with Mosin carbines is that they shoot so damned high! I put two holes in the crossbar of my gong the first time I took out the M38.

It's funny, working in a gun shop in Winnipeg I deal a lot with first nations people off of reservations, and they buy a lot of Savages. Doesn't seem to bother them.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:27 PM

Why do you keep making me more and more envious of you? The 1903 and Mosin in particular are real beauties.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 07-12-2014, 03:53 AM

Quote:
My only problem with Mosin carbines is that they shoot so damned high! I put two holes in the crossbar of my gong the first time I took out the M38.

It's funny, working in a gun shop in Winnipeg I deal a lot with first nations people off of reservations, and they buy a lot of Savages. Doesn't seem to bother them.
They're still fun! So glad I got one before they jumped up in prices. Yours looks very well taken care of; how's the bore? I didn't check mine against the little "here's how to tell if your Mosin is garbage" guide floating around online until last week, but mine looks pretty good despite it having a rough exterior

Old 07-14-2014, 03:41 PM

The bore's actually pretty good. There's a bit of a crack in the stock, but it looks pretty stable. Caused by drying rather than recoil I think.

Spartan - thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
The bore's actually pretty good. There's a bit of a crack in the stock, but it looks pretty stable. Caused by drying rather than recoil I think.

Spartan - thanks!
I have seen exactly TWO Mosins with stocks that were not all tore up, a sniper Mosin from WW2 and the perfect 91/30 my buddy ended up with, so I don't think just a bit of a crack is a problem at all

Sometimes the coolest guns are kind of tore up, you know? My Parker Hale looks like it was thrown off a cliff, but it's just too good of a rifle to let that flaw get to me

Old 07-17-2014, 10:15 PM

Exactly! I buy guns because they have history, if I wanted something perfect I'd go buy a Sako Bavarian at work.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:36 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I can't believe the logo for the Savage is an Indian head. Reminds me of the time I saw the emblem for the USS Savage. File it under "Stuff you can't get away with today" I guess.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/386.htm
I own several issues of "Guns & Ammo" from 1967-1972. In the November 1968 issue there is an article about Savage being criticized for it's logo and advertising. In the late sixties Savage had an ad campaign with actual North American Indians posing with the various models that the company was making.

Savage responded that the company is sensitive towards issues concerning the Indians, that Savage contributes to various organizations and charities and that the Indians who are in their ads approved of the campaign and it's depiction of Indians.

Savage was dealing with that controversy long before professional sports teams were. Just FYI.