imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 10-19-2019, 03:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I am looking to buy a police trade in Beretta 92FS. The price is 350. I'm feeling lucky

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-19-2019, 06:37 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
It was one of the early ones with the heel release and the rounded trigger guard (found an old picture of shooting it along with our old Colt SP101). He purchased it from another officer who was also an FFL. I don't know where Chuck found it at. Both Chuck and dad are now gone so it will always remain a mystery. I shot it more often then the Colt Commander due to 9mm being more affordable. Perhaps it is because of my positive experience with the Taurus that I have always been fond of the Beretta 92FS. Back in my Army days guys would badmouth the Beretta constantly. I never had any heartburn with it. But I think it's the nature of soldiers to constantly bitch about their weapons no matter how good they are.
Dad was in the Air Force (military police) in the sixties and he heard many an airman griping about the 1911A1. It never changes.
Ah, OK, my old one actually had the flared trigger guard, but also the heel release. I think it was around 1985 that Taurus started making the PT92 and PT99 with the mag release on the trigger guard, so I figure that my pistol was made just before that time. My Grandfather, like your Dad, also purchased the gun from a friend, so I never knew when his friend bought it. My grandfather got it sometime in the early-90s, and it became mine in 2006 - then I sold it just 18 months later. And I regretted that decision so much that I had to get another.

The Beretta and Taurus will never be my favorite firearms (and I own one of each), in part because they're so gigantic and heavy for 9mm pistols that were originally designed for 15-shot mags, but I do think they're well-made, reliable, and fun to shoot. Not that I've ever been a serviceman, but I do wish the military had adopted an M9 which had a frame-mounted safety like the Taurus. It's the one thing that the Brazilians really nailed, and it should have been a no-brainer for the M9 program.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:44 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Basic Magpul MIAD because you can switch parts of it around and there's nothing wrong with getting a geissele triggers
So I actually ordered a BCM Mod-1. I stopped by Magpul's booth at AUSA this week, and I held some ARs fitted with MIAD grips. Decided I like the feel of the BCM better (based on my experience checking out BCM rifles at gun shows). Even though my rifle is already fitted with a lot of Magpul products, and even though my BCM charging handle was not the best choice, I intend to try out more BCM products moving forward.

For the trigger, I agree that I'm probably going to go with a Geissele SSA, as they're the semi-auto equivalent to the SSF triggers that are popular in SOCOM right now.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:20 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Ah, OK, my old one actually had the flared trigger guard, but also the heel release. I think it was around 1985 that Taurus started making the PT92 and PT99 with the mag release on the trigger guard, so I figure that my pistol was made just before that time. My Grandfather, like your Dad, also purchased the gun from a friend, so I never knew when his friend bought it. My grandfather got it sometime in the early-90s, and it became mine in 2006 - then I sold it just 18 months later. And I regretted that decision so much that I had to get another.

The Beretta and Taurus will never be my favorite firearms (and I own one of each), in part because they're so gigantic and heavy for 9mm pistols that were originally designed for 15-shot mags, but I do think they're well-made, reliable, and fun to shoot. Not that I've ever been a serviceman, but I do wish the military had adopted an M9 which had a frame-mounted safety like the Taurus. It's the one thing that the Brazilians really nailed, and it should have been a no-brainer for the M9 program.
I carried the Beretta for awhile in the Army, but it was on my equipment belt ,which was part of the old load bearing system (suspenders), so the bulk of the pistol wasn't as much an issue as it can be with my leather patrol belt. I don't even own a holster for the Beretta. It's strictly a range gun, but I like it.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:27 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I am looking to buy a police trade in Beretta 92FS. The price is 350. I'm feeling lucky
That's not a bad price and you can buy many parts and pieces directly from Beretta on the company's website. I suppose I could pay a little less, but I know that I'm getting genuine Beretta parts and the company backs up it's product. I've purchased magazines, stainless steel guide rod and recoil spring, and an oversize steel magazine release button. Good luck.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/
Old 10-20-2019, 06:56 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

TBH, I don’t think I’ll ever buy a police trade-in pistol again, unless it’s from unissued stock (AIMSurplus gets those sometimes). My Glock 19 is a police trade-in, and it’s so worn out and beat to hell that I’m hesitant to shoot it. I’ve only fired 100 rounds through it so far, and I’ve had it for almost a year.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:47 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
TBH, I don’t think I’ll ever buy a police trade-in pistol again, unless it’s from unissued stock (AIMSurplus gets those sometimes). My Glock 19 is a police trade-in, and it’s so worn out and beat to hell that I’m hesitant to shoot it. I’ve only fired 100 rounds through it so far, and I’ve had it for almost a year.
Kind of flies in the face of the old saying about cop guns being "fired a little, carried a lot."
Old 10-23-2019, 01:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Dude, I've seen Glock gen 2s that have lasted a long time. I mean, you COULD just replace some of the important internals.

Quote:
Kind of flies in the face of the old saying about cop guns being "fired a little, carried a lot."

Maybe he got unlucky and got a cop gun from a bad part of LA

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-23-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
And dropped only once.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 10-24-2019, 09:53 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
And dropped only once.
I've dropped mine five or six times that I can remember.