imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-05-2019, 12:33 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I thought about a Magpul BAD, but it seems as though the YouTube video reviewers I've watched have stories about them coming loose without LocTite.
To me the bigger issue with the Magpul BAD is that nothing belongs in the trigger guard except the trigger. My police force got some MCXs a couple of years ago and the standard kit had them fitted with BADs. They didn't last long, probably because I heard people ND'd in training while using them.

Last edited by commando552; 05-05-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:18 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

My other rifle has a BAD lever, but the only time I use it is for clearing malfunctions. I don't use it to drop the bolt unless I do one hand and even then, you practice safety rules. Put the rifle on safe before reloading. Some people think they can skip that step during reloads

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-05-2019, 09:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
My other rifle has a BAD lever, but the only time I use it is for clearing malfunctions. I don't use it to drop the bolt unless I do one hand and even then, you practice safety rules. Put the rifle on safe before reloading. Some people think they can skip that step during reloads
If you are getting shot at most people don't though. The way I was taught in the British military is that the safety does on for normal or administrative loading and unloading but for "tactical" in combat reloads it doesn't. Part of this is the ergonomics of the safety of the SA80 being very quick to disengage but relatively slow to engage, but it is still taught the same on AR platforms. The problem is that when you install a BAD lever you are going from reloading with the safety off being a "relatively" safe practice to now being a dangerous one, and to me building in a new risk is not worth the time saving.

Personally, I also just don't like the idea that some administrative action is now being done inside the trigger guard. To me, to only reason a finger should ever be in there is to pull the trigger, if you start putting it in there for other things I worry that it would start to erode that deeply ingrained muscle memory particularly when under stress.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:12 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

So, here's my DD M4A1 (photographed, as always, on my yoga mat):

Note that while I wanted an M4A1 Block II clone, I know that this rifle isn't as "clone correct" as that of some cloners out there. I'm already not clone correct by virtue of the fact that the rifle is a Daniel Defense instead of a Colt. Some other discrepancies between my build and the real deal:

- My rifle has the standard continuous RIS II, rather than the RIS II FSP. Apparently, the RIS II FSP is far more common in the field nowadays (at least in USASOC), which I find very odd - I once burned my hand on the A-frame FSP of my DPMS AR-15 after running about 600 rounds through it, and that was long before I began shooting with the C-clamp grip. Nowadays, I'd be even more nervous about burning my thumb (even with gloves on) on any rifle that has the FSP. So, needless to say, I far prefer the regular RIS II and don't care that it isn't the more common version IRL.
- My EOTech EXPS-3-0 is the black version, rather than the tan version that was adopted by SOCOM as the SU-231/A. I wanted the tan version, but Brownell's had the black version on sale for $100 off, plus a 10% promo code discount, so I got it for just $512 new. I have actually seen at least one pic of a Green Beret using a black XPS on his rifle (which I'm guessing was a personal purchase before the formal adoption of the XPS-3-0 by SOCOM), though, so I guess it's not impossible to find this version in the field, just unlikely.
- I'm running Magpul MBUS sights because I like those much better than the KAC sights - both in terms of functionality and aesthetics. Again, unlikely but not impossible to find in the field.
- I also have a Magpul vertical grip, which I use as more of a handstop. I know that a real SOCOM Block II would have either a tan TangoDown or KAC grip (if any at all). I'm probably going to buy a Magpul hand stop cover set in the future.
- Currently not running a pressure switch on my Surefire M600DF, though I'll get one eventually (though it means I'll probably have to remove or at least cut down the ladder rail cover on top).
- I'm using Magpul QD swivels (attached at the front with a Troy mount), instead of CQD mounts, which are far more common in the field.
- Rifle came with a standard A2 flash hider, which is of course pinned and welded. IRL, the Surefire 4-prong is now far more common (but almost no cloner has one because they're so pricey - I see far more 3-prong versions in the civilian market).
- I use the Viking Tactics sling mostly because I got it on sale - I realize that it's something of a dated design, and the Blue Force Gear slings are more common nowadays, though I'm sure plenty of SOCOM personnel still use VTACs. I also have a single-point sling with multiple detach points that I originally bought for my DPMS AR, and I've used that one, too.

Last edited by MT2008; 05-05-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:23 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
To me the bigger issue with the Magpul BAD is that nothing belongs in the trigger guard except the trigger. My police force got some MCXs a couple of years ago and the standard kit had them fitted with BADs. They didn't last long, probably because I heard people ND'd in training while using them.
Quote:
I appreciate your thoughts (both of you). I'm thinking I'll skip the BAD lever and get a Wilson Combat bolt release instead.

Last edited by MT2008; 05-05-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:32 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
I appreciate your thoughts (both of you). I'm thinking I'll skip the BAD lever and get a Wilson Combat bolt release instead.
The OEM paddle isn't so small that you'd miss it. I usually do the slap

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 05-22-2019, 03:09 AM

Getting a new .22 automatic pistol this week, idk what yet. Only "real" contenders are the S&W 22A/Model 41/Victory, the Ruger 22/45, and the Browning Buckmark. As always, I'm leaning towards a S&W but will see what they got

I also bought new speedloader pouches for my 605, and a Don Hume S&W 645 holster (new, for only like $25) that fits all my S&W autos like it was made for them. Soon I'll get a Bigfoot gunbelt and set up a neat little pistol rig

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Picked up a Savage Model 1907 pistol (32 auto) and a Smith & Wesson First Model 32 Safety Hammerless (32 S&W) at auction last week. The 1907 was made in 1910 and the Smith & Wesson was made in 1901. Both in pretty good shape. Paid $375 for the two of them. They might be pocket handguns, but they're neat in their own way.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
The OEM paddle isn't so small that you'd miss it. I usually do the slap
I'm already finding that it doesn't work very well when I'm wearing my gloves. I'd rather have a bigger bolt face of some kind.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:02 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
I'm already finding that it doesn't work very well when I'm wearing my gloves. I'd rather have a bigger bolt face of some kind.
Maybe if you wear gloves. Have you tried just press the paddle when you reload?