imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-06-2023, 08:00 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Steiner MPS red dot sight. I feel like a Blade Runner

My agency has just equipped us with the Steiner MPS red dot sights (and new high profile metal sights if the red dot fails) on our Glock pistols. We spent about seven hours shooting on the range getting to know the sights (hot, sweaty but fun) and then we ran through the qualification course. Most of the time my qualification score runs between 93% - 95%. With the red dot I scored a 100% - all in the white and a very nice grouping of shots. Every officer passed first time through that day - 26 officers. I looked down the line at our new futuristic pistols and thought of the pistols used in "Blade Runner". I like the sights and I've always trusted Steiner's work. All those years in the Army and constant use of Steiner binos I suppose. Our range master is retired Army so I suppose he was biased as well. I can't believe how fast the tech has come. You younger guys probably don't see the big deal, but 35 years ago it was strictly iron sights and you held a flashlight in your hand. Amazing. The new metal sights haven't been installed on my pistol yet.

Last edited by Jcordell; 07-06-2023 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 06:21 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
My agency has just equipped us with the Steiner MPS red dot sights (and new high profile metal sights if the red dot fails) on our Glock pistols. We spent about seven hours shooting on the range getting to know the sights (hot, sweaty but fun) and then we ran through the qualification course. Most of the time my qualification score runs between 93% - 95%. With the red dot I scored a 100% - all in the white and a very nice grouping of shots. Every officer passed first time through that day - 26 officers. I looked down the line at our new futuristic pistols and thought of the pistols used in "Blade Runner". I like the sights and I've always trusted Steiner's work. All those years in the Army and constant use of Steiner binos I suppose. Our range master is retired Army so I suppose he was biased as well. I can't believe how fast the tech has come. You younger guys probably don't see the big deal, but 35 years ago it was strictly iron sights and you held a flashlight in your hand. Amazing. The new metal sights haven't been installed on my pistol yet.

Very nice. If your mind is blown by the Steiner MPS on the Glock 45, you should check out the SIG P365-XMACRO - I recently handled one with a RomeoZero red dot at my local FFL (which I asked to see, after watching several YouTube reviews of it). You'll be even more impressed by how much they shrank red-dot tech for use on a conceal carry piece like the P365-XMACRO (and also fitted that bad boy with a 17-round mag).

And yeah, as a millennial, I've been pretty used to seeing red dots on pistols (C-More, after all, came out with its red dots 30 years ago, and they started showing up in movies soon after). But I have definitely been impressed by the shift from an accessory for competition/range shooters only to use on EDC pistols. I probably need to jump on the bandwagon myself, but alas, none of my pistols have anything other than irons right now. (Unless you count the fact that I can and have mounted my Trijicon MRO on my Steyr SPP.)
Old 07-17-2023, 06:32 AM

This is what you need right here.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 07-21-2023, 04:39 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

The Glock is the only pistol I have with red dot sight installed. My department gifts officers who retire their duty sidearm. I will be retiring a couple of years. Curious to see if they'll gift the red dot sight with the Glock. I know that I will get to keep the flashlight. That's another accouterment that I have come to appreciate over the years. So old dogs can learn new tricks.