imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 06-02-2010, 04:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

Exclamation Bad news from the UK: Gunman shoots 12

Just great. Let's hear from our UK members as to how fucked they're gonna be in the coming days. Sure they have SOME guns, but they're going the way of China & Japan where virtually no one has guns (except the rich & connected) and psychos kill school kids with butcher knives and swords......

Quote:
Twelve dead as gunman strikes in tourist hotspot
June 2, 2010

At least twelve people were killed when a gunman went on the rampage through one of the country's most popular tourist regions Wednesday before apparently killing himself.

Derrick Bird, a 52-year-old taxi driver, spent nearly four hours driving through the Lake District , reportedly shooting at people in 11 different locations from his car window.

Police warned frightened local residents and tourists to stay indoors for their own protection while they tracked him down. What is thought to be his body was eventually found in woods, along with a gun, near the town of Boot.

People in the normally sleepy Lake District -- popular with hikers for its spectacular mountain views, plus fans of children's author Beatrix Potter -- voiced deep shock at what had happened.

"You would think he was a very placid, very quiet man, kept himself to himself, so I do believe something pushed him over the edge," John Kane, a local resident who knew Bird, told the BBC.

A local doctor, Barrie Walker, told of "blood flowing in the streets" as he attended to victims, while the local ambulance service said it received 51 emergency calls as the tragedy unfolded.

One resident, Gary Toomey, recounted how he found one victim bleeding on the doorstep of his home.

"I saw a car screeching off and a man saying 'help me'. He was bleeding heavily from the side of his face," he told local media.

"He said he dived out of the way of the shot, and the man in the car pointed the gun down and shot him again in the back from about six feet away as he lay on the floor."

Prime Minister David Cameron said he was "alarmed and shocked" by the shootings, which he revealed had killed at least twelve people.

Deputy Chief Constable Stuart Hyde, who is leading the investigation, said they did not know what caused Bird to strike.

"Our focus now is to try and work out what has caused this and where Mr. Bird has been over the last 24 hours," he said.

"I would plead to anyone who has seen him or has seen any of the incidents, please come forward, speak to us and help us piece together exactly was has happened in this very, very tragic set of circumstances."

The country has tight controls on gun ownership introduced after two previous mass shootings in recent years.

In 1987, 27-year-old Michael Ryan shot 14 people dead in the town of Hungerford in Berkshire.

And in 1996, 16 children aged five and six plus their teacher were shot dead in the gym of a primary school in Dunblane, central Scotland, by 43-year-old Thomas Hamilton.

Registration is now mandatory for shotguns and firearms, which must be kept in secure storage. Nearly 600,000 people legally own a shotgun, and just over 100,000 a firearm.

Handguns were banned in 1997, and semi-automatic and pump-action rifles are also outlawed.

Sue Matthews, a telephonist with a local taxi firm who knew Bird, said what had happened was "like watching something from America".

"I can't believe he would do that -- he was a quiet little fellow," she said. She added the dead man was known as "Birdy", was self-employed and lived alone
Old 06-02-2010, 04:28 PM

Jesus Christ, the British are extremely stupid. You would think they would be smart enough to realize that no matter what you ban, criminals are just going to get it illegally just as they did before bans were even put into effect

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Jesus Christ, the British are extremely stupid. You would think they would be smart enough to realize that no matter what you ban, criminals are just going to get it illegally just as they did before bans were even put into effect
You know, the gun haters in THIS country have come very close MANY TIMES to banning entire classes of weapons and have been successful in things like the MG 1986 ban on new transferables, and also have STATES enact draconian gun bans. The 2nd Amendment (and the political efforts of many good people) has stopped them, from going any farther, but I fear that eventually they will wipe out all ownership. So The brits didn't corner the market on stupid people and politicians.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
You know, the gun haters in THIS country have come very close MANY TIMES to banning entire classes of weapons and have been successful in things like the MG 1986 ban on new transferables, and also have STATES enact draconian gun bans. The 2nd Amendment (and the political efforts of many good people) has stopped them, from going any farther, but I fear that eventually they will wipe out all ownership. So The brits didn't corner the market on stupid people and politicians.
I hate politicians. 99.99% are liars and about 98% of them would be in Federal Penitentiaries if the justice system worked the way it's supposed to

Old 06-02-2010, 05:44 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

"very placid, very quiet man, kept himself to himself"

See, it's the quiet people you've gotta watch out for. The type that doesn't take much, "keeps to himself". Yeah those are the guys that somehow like a cliche ends up being the killers.

In the UK, they've banned metal bats and replica swords now because of a bank robbery, which was successful. You can get the really pricey thousand dollar collector swords, but you can not get any of those less than 100 dollar swords now.

They've got "assault knife" ban too. Next thing, they'll be banning steel chairs, or glass beer bottles, because we seem them use all the time.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-02-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
"very placid, very quiet man, kept himself to himself"

See, it's the quiet people you've gotta watch out for. The type that doesn't take much, "keeps to himself". Yeah those are the guys that somehow like a cliche ends up being the killers.

In the UK, they've banned metal bats and replica swords now because of a bank robbery, which was successful. You can get the really pricey thousand dollar collector swords, but you can not get any of those less than 100 dollar swords now.

They've got "assault knife" ban too. Next thing, they'll be banning steel chairs, or glass beer bottles, because we seem them use all the time.
They're trying to ban glass beer mugs too

Old 06-02-2010, 06:41 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Yeah, common sense. Taking away objects that were used in dangerous situation doesn't mean people can't get creative. I bet it'll get to a point where England people will start making shanks like they do in prison because all forms of knives will be banned, or start busting out ancient weapons again because they are less regulated than guns. People will start carrying mace, and I don't mean the sprays.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 06-02-2010, 07:04 PM

If you criminalize ____, only criminals will have ______.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

This is really horrible. And we all know what's gonna happen. Even with the Conservatives in power, new gun laws are inevitable (recall that Hungerford took place under Thatcher).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
The 2nd Amendment (and the political efforts of many good people) has stopped them, from going any farther, but I fear that eventually they will wipe out all ownership. So The brits didn't corner the market on stupid people and politicians.
I don't. The United States is not the United Kingdom, so comparing the two is apples and oranges. In a few states (like California), things may continue to get worse, but I doubt there will ever be any serious, sweeping gun ban at the FEDERAL level. It would just be too unpopular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
There's no "cliche", not even for the "quiet" types. The Secret Service has studied mass killers for years now, and they've repeatedly concluded that there is absolutely no profile for these people, besides the fact that they're always male, and have some type of grievance (legitimate or not).
Old 06-03-2010, 01:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post

I don't. The United States is not the United Kingdom, so comparing the two is apples and oranges. In a few states (like California), things may continue to get worse, but I doubt there will ever be any serious, sweeping gun ban at the FEDERAL level. It would just be too unpopular.
Apples and Oranges? More like a Fruit to a Cheese burger. The fact that this country is so big and with so many factions and chaos of people trying to make the world run their way, restricting guns like the UK has done can never happen. They tried to make laws in Chicago that pretty much bans handguns, but doesn't legally state that until that law was overturned because it was unconstitutional. Any suggestions or million march or some fat, old ultra feminist that wants to get rid of all guns and let only the government have the guns and swear all our safety to the big man in DC. Cause that's what I want to do in this country, trust that when I have a mad man that wants to kill me for my money or is just a killer, I want to trust my life and soul and the life of my family that the cops will get here in time, so I don't need a shotgun.