imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Formerly "Michael Westen"

Question Mini Suppressor? What is this?

A mini suppressor of some type on a Beretta Jetfire. What silencer is this? Do they even make suppressors that small?

What kind? Is it real? Do they come this small?

imfdb.org
And another small one on on a bigger gun
imfdb.org
imfdb.org

Old 01-13-2011, 11:34 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

It's not a real suppressor. None of the sound suppressors you see in movies or TV shows are real; typically, armorers just make suppressor cans from aluminum cylinders (or whatever else is available). It means that they have fewer NFA-regulated items to worry about on-set, and there's also a reason (I forget what exactly) that using a real suppressor in combination with blank ammunition is actually dangerous.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Formerly "Michael Westen"

Are there real suppressors that are that small?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Westen View Post
Are there real suppressors that are that small?
If anyone made a suppressor that small, it wouldn't do much to suppress the weapon (even one as low-caliber as the Jetfire). So no, I can't see why anyone would manufacture a suppressor like that.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 AM

Probably just an aesthetic thing, 20 minutes into the future and all that.

Would the blank rounds higher pressures cause the silencer to explode? That might be why you're not supposed to use them.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
It's not a real suppressor. None of the sound suppressors you see in movies or TV shows are real; typically, armorers just make suppressor cans from aluminum cylinders (or whatever else is available). It means that they have fewer NFA-regulated items to worry about on-set, and there's also a reason (I forget what exactly) that using a real suppressor in combination with blank ammunition is actually dangerous.
Actually I don't believe it is more dangerous. I've dumped an entire magazine of 9mm hot blanks through an MP5A2 that had a LIVE GEMTECH suppressor on it and it shot fine (the MP5 barrel was already blank adapted). It actually knocked the sound level down quite a bit, but with MANY guns, it actually hinders cycling of the action and it definitely eliminates that nice FIREBALL effect from the muzzle. The fact that blanks are still 'dirtier' than live rounds may ruin or shorten the life of the suppressor baffles with contamination, but I don't see any danger of using a live suppressor with a blank weapon.

As I said before, it usually hinders reliable cycling of the action, especially with handguns when using blanks.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:20 AM

Back in the late 70s, I saw a photo of a P38K with a silencer that small that was suppose to be very quite. It was made for anti-terrorist units, and used special low velocity ammunition.

David.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Suppressor technology since its invention has been becoming smaller, but not THAT small even for a pistol.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”