imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 AM

im calling a local smith seeing if they can take a look and see if its a quick fix or send it back. Its my first handgun so i kinda want to hold on to it.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 07-06-2011, 03:52 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
If that doesn't work, you'll have to take the sideplate off the gun and look inside. Taurus guns are very similar to S&W guns, and being this is an older one I'm assuming it' will be even more similar than say a newer one, but, I reiterate, do this at your own risk.
Also, from experience dismantling my Airsoft revolver, do it in a room where there are no places a flying spring could be eaten by the Carpet Monster. Not sure how it is for real handguns (banned over here), but I think all Airsofts must be required by law to contain a V-shaped spring which refuses to fit into the frame at any angle and is set to fire itself three feet from your workbench the second the sideplate comes off.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 AM

To my knowledge there are no springs that will fly out of the gun, they should all be contained. The hammer block may come loose but that isn't spring loaded and is easily placed back in. Again, though, this is based on my opening of a S&W K-Frame revolver.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 AM
IMFDB Admin

Usually a cylinder latch problem is the result of a faulty latch spring. It's a tiny little spring installed under the latch (it's what makes the latch move back and forth, but that's pretty obvious).

Like YNH said, it's at your own risk whenever you take a six-gun apart. Sometimes putting them back together is near impossible without visual instruction or a smith's assistance. Also, depending on if the latch spring needs to be replaced or not, some revolvers have a simple spring that's easily replaceable while others have this weird flattened spring that's a pain and a half to aquire (or at least aquire cheaply). I'm pretty sure that those are only in large frame Colt revolvers though (from my experience at least) so hopefully you won't run into one.

If you're bringing it to a gunsmith though, they should be able to fix it fine. Just hope you don't need a flat spring replaced. That will be an extra hassle you don't want.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:08 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
To my knowledge there are no springs that will fly out of the gun, they should all be contained. The hammer block may come loose but that isn't spring loaded and is easily placed back in. Again, though, this is based on my opening of a S&W K-Frame revolver.
Yeah, but from experience it's always a good idea to assume anything mechanical you take apart will have a tiny springy thingy that will fly under the hardest thing in the room to move and take precautions to that effect. If you don't, it always will.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:46 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
Yeah, but from experience it's always a good idea to assume anything mechanical you take apart will have a tiny springy thingy that will fly under the hardest thing in the room to move and take precautions to that effect. If you don't, it always will.
Airsoft guns are put together in a way that makes disassembly/reassembly very difficult. All the parts kind of hold together at once, and if you don't have 7 hands or a machine to hold those parts, you've likely ruined the gun by taking it apart.

Real guns are designed to be stripped when needed, airsoft guns... I don't know what they were thinking with most of them.