imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-29-2008, 07:07 AM

Ah, I gotta have the adjustable sight, or if I'm lucky, the post sights and a square trigger guard, the grip doesn't matter cause it can be changed. Still, nice gun.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:14 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Ah, I gotta have the adjustable sight, or if I'm lucky, the post sights and a square trigger guard, the grip doesn't matter cause it can be changed. Still, nice gun.
Well, no worries. I can't really sell it at the moment, anyway, even though I'd like to.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default ...

I gotta say out of all those guns, I'd take a Colt M1911A1 Series 70 over any SIG, Smith, Glock, or Beretta. To me, it is the king of handguns. Ultimatley customizable, fits great in the hand. I prefer condition one over double action myself, which works great since a .45 has a frame safety. And guns like the Para Ordinance P-14 cancel out the whole whining over small capacity. If you have seven shots, you make them count. If you have 15, some people think they can piss away a shot or two (although people should know better).

I'm a 1911 man.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:58 AM

You sound like my buddy Mik. I've been dealt a bad hand when it comes to 1911s, though I completely agree that they are, all things considered, the best handguns ever made. The thing is a Series 70 will run you over a thousand, new or original, and if you put down that much money for a gun, especially a high end 1911, you're not ever gonna want to get it dirty. I wouldn't, for fear of the dreaded moron mark that may fall upon it after cleaning. That's why all the wondernines and DA weapons have taken center stage, cause they're cheaper, they perform well enough, and no one's gonna really care if you get some wear on it. Maybe you can afford it, but I sure can't. Also, you're right about the ammo thing, but if you can take down what you have to take down in one shot, you have 15 or 16 instead of 7 or 8, so higher capacity is always a plus. Para grips are a bit too big for me as well, but they are great guns.

If I had to choose a 1911 though, I'd get one of the Cotl made 70s in Electroless Nickel. That or a Springfield GI in Stainless Steel, which I could tune myself to whatever specs I desire, for about half to three quarters of the price. I own a Springfield GI Parkerized, and with the S&Ws flawless Stainless Steel, and the wear the Parking endured, I've learned that a finish is a very serious consideration, which is why prefer Stainless or Electroless Nickel.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Eventually...

I'm gonna try to make myself a pair of Series 70s with compensators. That would be cool. My dad keeps a Series 70 as his home defense gun but I want two of my own one day.

I currently have one of my compensators on my Frankenstein .45 "Gladys", it is an M1911 frame and everything else is A1. Doesn't feel right.

Besides, akimbo isn't really effective, but it is awesome none the less.

"Give a man a gun and he's superman, give him two and he's god!" -Hard Boiled

Great quote. Someone should add it to the front page.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I haven't fired very many 1911s. I respect the design, but don't exactly love the ergonomics. Actually, that's just a problem I have with .45s in general...
Old 11-30-2008, 02:29 AM

For the record, I hate the term "akimbo", my gun buddies and I just say "Woo" or "John Woo" when referring to dual wielding.

Ex: "Chow Yun Fat John Woo's Beretta 92s a lot."

Again, man, you got your head in the clouds when it comes to your gun wish list. I don't like compensators, though I did fire a custom Springfield Mil-Spec with a ported slide and barrel, and that was awesome.

An M1911 Frame? So it doesn't have finger relief cuts? How do you live with that!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default No relief cuts....

I'm more used to not having the relief cuts so it doesn't bother me as much. What bugs me more is the shorter grip safety spur. Hammer bite hurts like a bitch.

Surprisingly, my gun wish list isn't too high in the clouds. It's becoming a pretty high possibility actually. I might even have them done by next year.

I like akimbo, sounds sophisticated. Or dual-wielding to be simple. Woo is actually kind of cool though.

My compensators are nickel plated with three cuts. They attach as a barrel bushing and work great. (they're not those little crappy extended bushings that look like a slightly extended barrel, they are those block compensators that make the guns look like 6" long slides.

Since my dad is a dealer, some gun order books have some great deals. How does an original sniper Mosin Nagant M91/30 with a 3.5PU scope for $350 sound. Pretty damn good. A Glock 3rd gen 21 for 300 bucks. Awesome.

We get some good deals.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 PM

There's sophisticated, and then there's pedantic. We try and sound knowledgeable and cool first, and "sophisticated" second. There's a bunch of terms we use, most of which derive from movies or television, but you get the idea.

$350 for a Sniper model is pretty good, and though I, and no one else, wants a Glock 21, it's a lot more considerable at $300 depending upon condition.

Oh, you have REAL compensators, nice.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Never heard of .30-30?! The .30-30 was a rifle cartridge first invented as a new round to fire the smokeless powder, being first fired in the Winchester 1894 rifle, a gun built specially to fire the high-pressure round. It is an infamous rifle cartridge, most common in lever guns.

Strangly .308 Winchester is somewhat uncommon in lever guns. Not unheard of, but somewhat rare.

Since Winchester cheapened most of Browning's ingenius designs such as the '92 and '94 rifles, the Marlin guns were actually suprerior at the time. Treat the 336 well, Bunni.
I've heard that the .308 Winchester is not used in lever guns due to the combination of the tube magazine and the fact that .308 Winchester is a spitzer round and that the recoil coupled with the bullets touching the primers of the rounds ahead of them causing a chain reaction and resulting in god knows what.