imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 07-25-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
The best way to start to make pages is to hit "Edit" on any page that's done in proper formatting (and we do describe what "proper formatting" constitutes in the Rules section), and examine the code. That's how I learned, at least. Also, if you need help, you can always ask for it on here.

Anyway, requesting pages is basically demanding that other people do the work for you. It's one thing to ask for help, but insisting other people take on the burden is not reasonable to ask.
I learned exactly the same way. If you want to start right away on making new pages, take a look at some of the featured movies for an example of what is considered good/proper formatting, such as http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Saving_Private_Ryan. Of course, you should also read http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Rules...and_Principles to see what standards are expected at this site in particular.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Mr. Chuckles

I would create a page for Restrepo myself, but the problem is that I can't really identify most of the weapons used in it. And yes, even though it is a documentary, I'd like to be able to identify the firearms I saw in the film. This is what I use IMFDB for: to bolster my knowledge of firearms and to be able to identify them.

I didn't mean to be unreasonable and "demand" someone make a page; I just thought I'd get a little help from others more knowledgeable about firearms than me. With time, maybe I'll be able to contribute to IMFDB on my own.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chuckles View Post
I would create a page for Restrepo myself, but the problem is that I can't really identify most of the weapons used in it. And yes, even though it is a documentary, I'd like to be able to identify the firearms I saw in the film. This is what I use IMFDB for: to bolster my knowledge of firearms and to be able to identify them.

I didn't mean to be unreasonable and "demand" someone make a page; I just thought I'd get a little help from others more knowledgeable about firearms than me. With time, maybe I'll be able to contribute to IMFDB on my own.
Since it is a documentary and the site doesn't allow those, would it be fair to post screencaps of the guns in the movie on this forum so you can still expand your knowledge without breaking the rules? Still looking for it btw.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:

I can tell you from reading the book that most of the weapons are standard U.S. Army issue stuff that you can identify by going to Wikipedia: M4 carbines, M249 SAWs, the M240, and the Browning M2HB .50-caliber.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Mr. Chuckles

Thanks MT2008. I think the M240 was where I got hung up. I saw it and thought to myself, "Wait, that's not an M60..."

Also, I was surprised at the beat-up look of some of the firearms in Restrepo. I know these guys were deployed in that valley for 15 months and all, but damn. I wonder if there is any info or a book or something on the longevity of equipment used by Coalition troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:26 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Thanks MT2008. I think the M240 was where I got hung up. I saw it and thought to myself, "Wait, that's not an M60..."
Yeah, O'Byrne's squad carried the platoon's M240.

Quote:
Also, I was surprised at the beat-up look of some of the firearms in Restrepo. I know these guys were deployed in that valley for 15 months and all, but damn. I wonder if there is any info or a book or something on the longevity of equipment used by Coalition troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Haven't seen the documentary yet, but I remember there was a comment about that in the book somewhere. A lot of the grit on the weapons came from dust thrown up by RPGs and mortars narrowly missing them. In long firefights, it's easy for the weapons to get lots of grit all over their exteriors that doesn't come off easily.

Last edited by MT2008; 07-28-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Hold up one second..."Restrepo" is the documentary version of the book "War" by Sebastian Junger. It's a great book (I happen to be reading it now), and I'm sure the film is just as good, but the problem is that documentaries are outside the scope of IMFDB. We cover weapons in fiction, not documentaries.
Then shouldn't the Mail Call and Future Weapons articles be deleted?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Then shouldn't the Mail Call and Future Weapons articles be deleted?
Technically, yes. But they were also made before we decided that documentaries were not permissible and cracked down on them. We were in the awkward position of deciding whether pages that had taken lots of work to finish (i.e. both of those) should be deleted given the hard work that went into them. So those two have endured only due to our indecisiveness on the matter.

But any others, we shoot 'em down at takeoff.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:

I can't speak for Iraq but the talcum dust in Afghanistan will definately fuck them up. I carried my Browning in an open holster while I was over there and it was definately not in the same condition when I turned it in as it was when I got it! I know our LAV feet has taken quite a beating over the last 8 years.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 PM

What are "LAV feet"?

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman