imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 06-21-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Rare probably decided to toss it, but forgot to remove it completely. So really its irrelevant.
Regardless, though, there's no weapon in the game which has any animation related to operating it; they're all just blocks which bullets come out of one end of. That would mean any bolt-action weapon would either end up being shown as semi-auto or as reloading after every shot.

Having thought about it, I can see the reason for the wood furniture; it's a hardware limitation. The N64's texture cache is 4 kilobytes [that's the size of four of this board's smilies; less than four for some] which means stupid economies have to be made; Mario N64 did it by flat-shading a lot of surfaces, Turok did it with aggressive distance masking, Goldeneye by sharing textures between the weapons and the levels; almost every level has a large number of items made of wood in it.

It's certainly hard to tell what these older games are trying to do, though, and even harder if you don't know what the intent behind them is. Case in point, can you tell me what aircraft this is?

Oh, also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66
Still if you get ahold of the new Fallout 1,2 & Tactics pack or Jagged Alliance 2:Unfinished Buisiness feel free to upgrade the pages.
I'm mostly running through my list of first-person shooters; I had a lot of shots of Crysis already since I was showing a friend how my new PC ran, and Far Cry seemed the next logical step. Both handily have a screenshot function built in [though you have to put Far Cry into devmode to use it]. I was thinking of re-capping Call of Duty 4 next, actually, since a lot of the images we have are googled and have watermarks from other sites on them.

Last edited by Vangelis; 06-21-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
It's certainly hard to tell what these older games are trying to do, though, and even harder if you don't know what the intent behind them is. Case in point, can you tell me what aircraft this is?

A EF-2000 Typhoon with two stabilizer fins instead of one.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 06-22-2009, 09:37 AM

I have NO idea what kind of airplane that is.

I think Dongs certainly has caused enough havoc for one lifetime, perhaps he should be drawn and quartered. The old N64 shooters are pretty poor looking, probably the best was TWINE, but even so...
Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
I think Dongs certainly has caused enough havoc for one lifetime, perhaps he should be drawn and quartered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
Sweet stuff, Vangelis.
Where you been all our lives?
I'm getting mixed messages here.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 AM
IMFDB Admin

So you are Dongs! I figured so but I thought I'd sound stupid if I asked. Wow, people have been dissing you without even knowning it. Hell, even I mocked the name "dongs".
Old 06-22-2009, 04:23 PM

Ha! CAUGHT YOU TRYING TO PULL THE WOOL OVER OUR EYES.
Well it won't work now
Old 06-23-2009, 11:27 AM

Just to answer this since nobody got it, that plane? It's an F-22. Thing is, you've no way to know that unless you're familiar with what the dev team was doing; see, F-29 Retaliator there was made in 1989 before any F-22 had ever actually been flown, so that plane is based on this piece of concept art:

The game was supposed to be called F-22 Retaliator, but was mis-announced. And it is kinda odd that the result ended up looking like a MiG 1.44.

As another note, it's amazing how far flying games have come since I first played F-29 on our old Commodore Amiga. Click for a bigger [much, much bigger] version:

Old 06-25-2009, 06:50 PM

Well, some guy calling himself 'Den Mother' seems to have decided it's a KSVK again and keeps adding it to the article. Um, great.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Personally I don't get what there's left to argue about, this game is dead anyway.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Personally I don't get what there's left to argue about, this game is dead anyway.
I think that article should be deleted as most of the firearms there are generic and not really based on real world weaponry.