imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 07-14-2009, 02:48 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Working out and I need advice

Alright everyone, I'm starting the hard road to get in serious shape. I'm going to try law enforcement and I need to meet the physical requirements and get in shape. I need to be able to run, do pushups and lose my huge fat ass and buddha belly. Alright did some this morning before i typed this and it is hard.

Anyone with experience, please give me some pointers on what I should be doing and should nots. Thanks everyone

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-14-2009, 04:24 PM

Yeah, i had to lose a shitload of weight before i went to basic. Diet helped, the less weight you got on you, the easier everything is. For pushups, do lots of reps, preferably an independent press so both arms get the same workout. That builds muscle and endurance. Situps, try doing them, legs straight, arms crossed on chest. Thsi way you have to go all the way up and cant rely on momentum to do it. I also did a lot of running/joggin. Drink lean protein after lifts do regain muscle. Never work out same muscle group twice in a row either, you need more than 1 day to heal after a good workout. Situps, however, you can do 6 days a week, abs grow back quick.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally I could barely do 10 pushups and my arms would be vibrating.

For pushups you need to max out for the first time you do it, do as many as you physically can for one set and you'll be able to accomplish more.

What I did is I did 2 sets of 20 pushups in the Afternoon, after about 2 months I increased that to 40 and then 60 and after a while I was able to do 240 pushups a day. (that was 4 sets of 60 a day, 2 sets of 60 in the morning, 2 sets of 60 in the afternoon)

Currently I do 2 sets of 80 in the afternoon (160 a day, it's less than 240 that I used to but there is more intensity with 2 sets of 80 in the afternoon than 4 sets of 60 spread out through the day.

Also for running try and run 2 miles every other day (Mon,Wed,Fri)

(or 3 miles if you are up to it)

Also, when you are running do not stop until you reach the end of your run no matter what -it will only make it harder as lactic acid and other crap builds up because of your sudden stop.

Also if you have cramps just push into it with your hand and keep on running, it will dissipate after a while.

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 07-14-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 PM

Running youll see results fate, a month ago i barely did a mile and a half without hurting, did 4 miles this morning and feel great. Just keep at it.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:05 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Running youll see results fate, a month ago i barely did a mile and a half without hurting, did 4 miles this morning and feel great. Just keep at it.
4 miles without hurting? Wow. I do a 4-mile run two days a week (because, frankly, I'm skinny enough that I don't need to lose much weight), and I really hurt every time I do it. I've been doing it for years now, and it still never gets easier. Of course, I average 7:15 miles and my HR is 80-90% of max for most of the run...
Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 PM

If i run on my own it sucks, today i ran with the class 4 miles, me and a few of the guys went out saturday, we were out 2 hours running around the battlefield looking at all the historical stuff, no problem. When theres other people it makes it easier somehow, probably the motivation. Orange juice or a dish with potatos(potassium) the night before a run and lots of stretching/hydration are other tips.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:27 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Alright everyone, I'm starting the hard road to get in serious shape. I'm going to try law enforcement and I need to meet the physical requirements and get in shape. I need to be able to run, do pushups and lose my huge fat ass and buddha belly. Alright did some this morning before i typed this and it is hard.

Anyone with experience, please give me some pointers on what I should be doing and should nots. Thanks everyone
Hmmm, sounds like your best bet right now is lots of cardio. You can start by getting on the bike and then hitting the treadmill, if the running initially seems almost impossible. Not sure what else I can tell you; I always had the opposite problem (for most of my life, I've been very slight-framed and didn't start to fill out until I hit 20).

I have a friend from high school who had to lose a whole bunch of weight when he went into LE. I remember his Facebook status updates used to constantly boast stuff like, "I just ran 4 miles in 36 minutes...woohoo!" because he was so proud of his progress. I'm not sure how fast he had to run 4 miles, but I guess it was something close to that.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:16 AM

One thing to remember, after workouts have some warmer or room temp water ready, after a workout your body's warm and cold water will amke you feel like crap, cramp up and possibly put your body in mild shock.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:10 AM

I just got back from my run.

I did bad though, I got 15:09 for 2 miles
(I normally get about 13:50-14:30)

Anyone else time themselves?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:25 AM

im happy with my 8 minuite miles, at least 1159 for 1.5. i doubt i could get 16 on 2 miles. I can go a long distance but speed slows way down.