imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 03-28-2012, 05:28 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Call of Duty cited as the cause of shooting? BS

This is another reason why I hate the news.

http://www2.wjbf.com/news/2012/mar/2...e--ar-3492369/

The doctor they interviewed said "A game that is rated M for Mature, probably doesn't belong in the hands of a 12 year old"

You know what REALLY doesn't belong in the hands of a 12 year old? A semi-automatic...

"when the eldest of them picked up a semi-automatic that belonged to his parents"

Was it just laying on the kitchen table? Shit the parents that own the gun is irresponsible. What did they think will happen? You don't know what will happen, but you're pretty sure it'll make the papers

They didn't teach their kid any lessons on why it's bad and apparently the kid pulled the trigger several times before a round went off, so either the safety was on and he most likely discovered why it wasn't going bang or the kid really is dumb. And don't go "he's 12" my ass. I know 8 year olds that can take apart an AR-15 in less than 30 seconds and back.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-28-2012, 08:09 PM

And the article doesn't make even a single mention of where the parents were or what they were doing when this happened. I haven't any love for Call of Duty, but this is an obviously blatant attempt to use it as a scapegoat to disguise what's actually just irresponsible parenting. But of course no parent, no matter how negligent or irresponsible, can ever do wrong in the liberal media's eyes. Everyone is just perfect and the root cause of all evil and tragedy in this world is guns and video games.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 PM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

I usually dont like to respond to this sort of stuff and stick my neck out but I got to agree. As a guy who grew up in a VERY liberal household with politicians for parents, if you are blaming the video games, you're an idiot.

Is there evidence to suggest that violent video games have a negative effect on our youth, yes, there is. Do kids ages 8 - 14 belong playing games like Grand theft Auto and Call of Duty? In my mind, definitely not. But to say that THAT is the issue is to ignore the facts in front of your face. I'm with Excalibur... WTF WAS THIS KID DOING WITH A GUN?! Personally i think your a lousy parent if you are letting your 10 or 12 year old play Call of Duty but thats for each parent to decide on their own. Letting your 12 year old have access to a Semi-Automatic?! Now that is fucking stupid. Forget the video games, lock these parents up.

Again, as a liberal from a liberal family, it is idiots like this who make gun owners look bad. Many liberals look at this and say "see this is why we need better gun control". Wrong, what we need is to charge this idiotic father with negligent homicide.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 PM

I've always had access to guns and violent video games and I seem to have made it to adulthood without killing anyone, even though the media says I ought to have gone on a rampage by now

http://www.introvertisland.com

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 03-28-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 PM

I played GoldenEye '64 growing up and had access to plenty of firearms, including, but not limited it too, a Mini-14, a Romanian AK, a -1991A1, and a Mossberg 590. The only people I ever killed were the fellows with AKMs in the Sandbox.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
The doctor they interviewed said "A game that is rated M for Mature, probably doesn't belong in the hands of a 12 year old"

You know what REALLY doesn't belong in the hands of a 12 year old? A semi-automatic...
Though I also agree with the first statement.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:29 AM

I have no problem with kids having supervised use of firearms.

Example

That kid was shooting there all day. At one point he was shooting next to me. All day there was a range officer near him and not once did that kid violate any safty rules. Note that with the P90 his parent has control of the weapon.

As for not letting a kid play violent video games....With good parenting it really doesn't matter.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

And when you teach your little girl how to take apart a gun, she becomes this girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irykjLjuKo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlod...K15QgcA0_76bM=

She was 11 in that vid and that was 2008. Imagine what she's like now.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-29-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
I have no problem with kids having supervised use of firearms.

Example

That kid was shooting there all day. At one point he was shooting next to me. All day there was a range officer near him and not once did that kid violate any safty rules. Note that with the P90 his parent has control of the weapon.
Personally though I think it's irresponsible to let children fire fully automatic weapons. Those things can be hard to control if you don't know what your doing.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Personally though I think it's irresponsible to let children fire fully automatic weapons. Those things can be hard to control if you don't know what your doing.
I let a young boy (At most 10-11 years old) shoot the last couple rounds I had for the AK74 I rented on my 18th birthday, and he handled firing on full auto like a champ

http://www.introvertisland.com