imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 04-14-2011, 01:48 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Type 69 Rocket Launcher?

A user recently changed all of the Type 69 RPG entries to just "Type 69", arguing that "RPG" is not the correct nomenclature to the Chinese launcher. Another user then changed it back. I wanted to get other moderators' feedback on this so there could be a final decision on what it should be. My vote would be either keep it at RPG or name it a "Type 69" Rocket Launcher since "Type 69" is very generic.

The other moderators' thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben41 View Post
A user recently changed all of the Type 69 RPG entries to just "Type 69", arguing that "RPG" is not the correct nomenclature to the Chinese launcher. Another user then changed it back. I wanted to get other moderators' feedback on this so there could be a final decision on what it should be. My vote would be either keep it at RPG or name it a "Type 69" Rocket Launcher since "Type 69" is very generic.

The other moderators' thoughts would be appreciated.
That was me who changed it the first time and Evil Tim who changed it back. Evil Tim is another name of Dongs/Vangelis who I know people have had problems with before.

Check our talk pages for the dialog so far.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/User_talk:...noldsMoustache

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/User_talk:Evil_Tim
Old 04-14-2011, 02:36 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'll give Tim this...it is true that the Chinese use "Type XX" to name every weapon, and the "XX" is always after the year that said weapon entered service. It's pretty confusing that the Chinese SKS and AK-47 copies are both called the "Type 56".

That being said, I don't think such matters of confusion are applicable to the Type 69 RPG. As best I know, it is the only Chinese Type 69 that would be included on this site (whereas obviously, the Type 69 MBT and the Type 69 land mine are outside the scope of IMFDB). So I think it's fine to just say "Type 69". I'm with Burt on this.

Also, if we were going to say "Type 69 RPG", then we should also alter "Norinco Type 56" on the AK-47 page to read something like, "Norinco Type 56 assault rifle".
Old 04-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Also, if we were going to say "Type 69 RPG", then we should also alter "Norinco Type 56" on the AK-47 page to read something like, "Norinco Type 56 assault rifle".
I believe the official terms are Type 56 rifle for the SKS and Type 56 submachine gun for the AK.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:45 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
I believe the official terms are Type 56 rifle for the SKS and Type 56 submachine gun for the AK.
Type 56 carbine for the SKS, but you are right that the AK was called a Type 56 submachine gun. That's because until the 1970s, the PLA only used the AK in a submachine gun role (most infantry riflemen used SKS).
Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Banned

We need a consensus on this from the admins. Ben41 told me to cool it so I did. (Is he an admin?) And even if he's not, this edit war between me and Tim isn't going anywhere anyway. So I ask the admins to consider our respective arguments and reach an official decision on this.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 PM
IMFDB Admin

Yes Ben's an admin. He just doesn't frequent the forums much.

Also I say just leave it as Type 69 RPG.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Yes Ben's an admin. He just doesn't frequent the forums much.

Also I say just leave it as Type 69 RPG.
Just a side thought, anyone who's an admin on the wiki should be a moderator here in the forums. Just makes sense to me. Promote Ben41 says I.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
Just a side thought, anyone who's an admin on the wiki should be a moderator here in the forums. Just makes sense to me. Promote Ben41 says I.
He probably is, just doesn't have a lot of post and still says junior member. I have moderator privileges but it still says senior member.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
He probably is, just doesn't have a lot of post and still says junior member. I have moderator privileges but it still says senior member.
BTW, do you have a reason for your decision on this issue? I'd like to here it if you do. I'm not challenging your authority here, I'd just like to know why my argument didn't appeal to you.