imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-26-2010, 04:43 AM

Default Type 56 vs the AKM

What's the reason why the Chinese went with a 1.5mm reciever instead of a 1mm like the AKM? Cheap steel? More durability?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:07 AM
Banned

A guy I knew who was in the Soviet Army and fought against the Chinese during a border war told me that Chinese AK's used a lower quality of steel than Russian AK's. Of course I don't know how reliable that is given the boastful nature of Russians.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:56 AM

Funny thing is that the Yugoslavians went with a thicker reciver as well. The extra thickness does stiffen the reciver and adds slightly to the accuracy potential.

Seriously the only members of the AK family I like are the RPK, the Yugo models(Although I like chrome bores), and any Galil varient.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Funny thing is that the Yugoslavians went with a thicker reciver as well. The extra thickness does stiffen the reciver and adds slightly to the accuracy potential.

Seriously the only members of the AK family I like are the RPK, the Yugo models(Although I like chrome bores), and any Galil varient.
The reason why I hear that the Yugo's went a thicker reciever on their AK was because of the grenade launching.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:49 PM

I'd actually take the AKM over the Type 56. Even though I'm Chinese, I prefer the AKM or even the 103 because

1. The StG-style straightline stock would help reduce muzzle rise.
2. The muzzle brake
3. It's lighter
Old 07-28-2010, 12:52 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac View Post
What's the reason why the Chinese went with a 1.5mm reciever instead of a 1mm like the AKM? Cheap steel? More durability?
This is a good question, and one which I wish I knew. I was once told by somebody on another forum that it was because Soviet-made AKMs received by the PLA for evaluation failed their own durability test, so they insisted on thicker receiver metal. But I haven't been able to verify this (indeed, I had never heard of the PLA receiving any AKMs at all, given that the Sino-Soviet split took place shortly after the AKM's service debut in the Red Army).