imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 12-18-2008, 08:05 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Clarification of Fictional Firearms Part 2

Due to the inputs of some new members of completely fantasy weapons (like the Moonraker Laser), I propose that we LIMIT pages to weapons that are either based on real guns, use real guns inside, are presented as real guns in the story (but aren't in real life), are used as guns in the context of the story.

Hellboy's large guns are acceptable because they appear to be real guns and the general public may be interested as to whether or not the props were based on any real world design.

What I am completely against (no offense to anyone) is the trend of putting ALL sci fi weapons here. For example, I don't want to see the SPACE:1999 laser pistol, or the Star Trek PHASER (all incarnations), or the laser wands of "Andromeda" or any Klingon Disruptor or the Phased Plasma guns from Babylon 5 .... you see my point. People KNOW that these are fantasy weapons. There is no point in having them on a FIREARMS site, unless there is enough of a crossover (or possibility of confusion) as to whether or not they are REAL or not. Many of the original STAR WARS guns were built on REAL guns, so they're okay. The Fictional or fantasy weapons are okay when listed on the MOVIE's page, (like was done with crossbows and swords), but do NOT merit their own page in the GUN Category.

Please let me know your thoughts or input.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:52 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

In all honesty, I thought we agreed on this all along. Sadly, some members don't seem to care. But yes, I do want to limit this to guns that are real or based on real weapons. Though I guess that does leave some loopholes by itself...
Old 12-19-2008, 06:05 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
In all honesty, I thought we agreed on this all along. Sadly, some members don't seem to care. But yes, I do want to limit this to guns that are real or based on real weapons. Though I guess that does leave some loopholes by itself...
the day some newbie creates a page for "Obi Wan Kenobi's Light Sabre" .... I'll scream.....

So I guess we agree. Guns or gun based weapons ONLY. Fictional guns that work as guns or might be interpreted as real guns count (Like the blade runner pistol which was built on a rifle's bolt action), etc.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
the day some newbie creates a page for "Obi Wan Kenobi's Light Sabre" .... I'll scream.....

Oh dear GOD no...

Anyway, I've done all I can to put what images I could come up with of the guns of Star Wars that were based around real guns. It was tricky for some of them and I had some help. If I have time I might get better screencaps. I've been trying to do the pages for Star Trek where they did use real guns

Speaking of Andromeda, I just remembered an episode where I saw P90s used on screen. I gotta find me that episode and cap it.

I remember the Stargate Atlantis page and I think the SG-1 page, the previous posters did the "alien weapons" that weren't real guns on those pages. I deleted them and even wrote on top, only real guns or guns built around real guns allowed.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 12-19-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I remember the Stargate Atlantis page and I think the SG-1 page, the previous posters did the "alien weapons" that weren't real guns on those pages. I deleted them and even wrote on top, only real guns or guns built around real guns allowed.
I think there's nothing wrong with doing a small side note on the page as long as there aren't too many. Like STAR TREK, there are just too many fantasy weapons that they should not be listed unless they are based on real guns. After all RAMBO's knife and crossbows are listed in his movie pages, but I don't believe that non firearms merit their own pages in the FIREARMS category.

For example, I listed the CHIG battle rifle in Space Above and Beyond, because it was shown firing like a gun, but it was a pyrotechnic effect, not a real gun inside a sci fi outer shell. Also the Chig battle rifle doesn't merit it's own page on the guns page.

As for the 007 listing, I don't mind listing the Moonraker laser on the "moonraker" page but it does not merit a page on the GUN pages.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:47 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Ok, I can agree with you on that. But I still don't feel like getting screen caps about the staff weapons and other weapons from Stargate just because I kinda feel silly doing it.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”