imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 06-25-2015, 11:13 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,537
Default

And while we're on the topic of Lee-Enfields and Canada...

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...e-temperatures
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 06-26-2015, 02:25 AM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
And while we're on the topic of Lee-Enfields and Canada...

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...e-temperatures

I like the Lee-Enfield, but I had no idea that the Canadian Rangers were still relying on the old warhorse. It's one thing to collect and shoot as a hobby, but for the rigors of day in and day out work......well that's actually a sign of neglect on the part of the Ranger's bosses. Long overdue.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 06-26-2015, 12:44 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
I like the Lee-Enfield, but I had no idea that the Canadian Rangers were still relying on the old warhorse. It's one thing to collect and shoot as a hobby, but for the rigors of day in and day out work......well that's actually a sign of neglect on the part of the Ranger's bosses. Long overdue.
I can't imagine they have to shoot every often. They cite age and parts availability, but I would've thought the main factor is the availability of .303.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 06-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I can't imagine they have to shoot every often. They cite age and parts availability, but I would've thought the main factor is the availability of .303.
Probably not, but it's one of those things that when you need it you really need it. Not sure about ammo. It's my understanding that the surplus 303 from South Africa has pretty much dried up. In the past few years I've purchased brand new 303 British made by Winchester and Hornady, but it wasn't cheap. Probably more than a governmental body would be willing to pay even with a gross tonnage discount.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 06-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Nyles Nyles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 917
Default

Actually Industries Valcartier (the CF's ammunition manufacturer) still loads .303 for the Rangers periodically. And they actually probably shoot more than we do - reality of living up north. Their rifles tend to put a lot of meat in the pot, to say noting of the wild animal defense issue. In fact I have my doubts about the effectiveness of the NATO 7.62mm load against polar bear...

Its definitely high time the Rangers got new rifles, and the Tikkas are probably a good choice. They're not exactly known for being gentle with their weapons.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 06-28-2015, 09:01 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Actually Industries Valcartier (the CF's ammunition manufacturer) still loads .303 for the Rangers periodically. And they actually probably shoot more than we do - reality of living up north. Their rifles tend to put a lot of meat in the pot, to say noting of the wild animal defense issue. In fact I have my doubts about the effectiveness of the NATO 7.62mm load against polar bear...

Its definitely high time the Rangers got new rifles, and the Tikkas are probably a good choice. They're not exactly known for being gentle with their weapons.
Between the shooting and the hard wear, I'm surprised the No. 4s lasted as long as they did then.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 06-29-2015, 12:27 AM
Nyles Nyles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 917
Default

Well, there was probably a fair number of Long Branch No.4s in war stores after they were replaced - I know that in Kandahar in 2009 I was issued a brand new never-before-issued 1945 Inglis Hi Power out of the same. Plus I think they bought some more out of Pakistan (POF) back on the 90s.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 06-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I know that in Kandahar in 2009 I was issued a brand new never-before-issued 1945 Inglis Hi Power out of the same.
Too bad you couldn't have brought it back with you. That would possibly be worth a fair amount of money to a collector or two. Not to mention it would have been a great addition to your collection.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 06-30-2015, 12:23 AM
Nyles Nyles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 917
Default

Yeah, it was definitely a weird change of pace when my army Hi Power was nicer than my personal one! Especially since the ones we're used to seeing in the reserves are totally shot out.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 06-30-2015, 11:31 PM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Yeah, it was definitely a weird change of pace when my army Hi Power was nicer than my personal one! Especially since the ones we're used to seeing in the reserves are totally shot out.
You never know. I went through Army basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri in 1986. All of my fellow recruits had M16A1 rifles made by Colt. Mine was a 1960's era M16A1 manufactured by Hydramatic. A division of General Motors. I was really pissed that I had a ratty old antique until we started our basic rifle marksmanship training. Many of the newer M16's had issues, but my clunky old rifle didn't hiccup once.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.