imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 11-25-2009, 06:00 PM

Default Political Beliefs

I'm probbaly only the only person on this forum who wants to share thier political beliefs. So here I go:

My whole family votes democratic (please don't judge us). My grandfather considers himself to be a Pro-life Democrat with a few Republican views. I also consider myself to be one. My english teacher thinks of me as a conservative because I use logic in my answers. I have equal number of Conservative and Liberal views (like I don't support abortion or gun control, I hate the treatment of immagrants and I want to help out the homeless). I dislike bigotry, predjudices and racism because I think it's whats destroying American values. I support the Obama adminastration and if anyone says that the Obama Adminastration is getting no where, I'll hit them with a chair because it'shis first year.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:18 PM

This will not end well. I'm sure of it. It's going to end up with me and MoviePropMaster arguing with eachother. It's going let me tell ya.

Just watch.

I support Universal Healthcare.

Just watch the responses. Just watch.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Im fairly conservative, but not religous right or completely biased. Im not aainst gay marraie, but am against abortion. Im pro gun, and the only one in my family to own one. Im aainst universal healthcare, especially with all the special interest earmarks and the fact the government run healthcare (which the "public option" will effectively make it) would be rediculously expensive and ineffecient. I pay 57 bucks a month for healthcare, it aint that bad. How about car insurance reform? Thats my worst bill. Im definitely pro military (tahts why I enlisted.) Against taxes and spending. I think the overnment wants to be involved in too much and needs to let states have more role, as each state knows more about local issues.

Now, this will be my only post, politics gets ugly, and I prefer to fight in the caliber wars.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'll let this topic exist as long as we avoid debating our beliefs too harshly and there's nothing too polarizing.

As for me: Atheist, pro-capitalism, socially liberal, anti-PCness, anti-huge bureaucracy (though I'm probably a hypocrite on the last one, since I'm essentially trying to become a bureaucrat). On foreign policy, I'm fairly conservative, but I think of myself as a realist conservative (as opposed to "neo"-conservative).

I'm not sure what "pro-military" means, because I work with a lot of people who seem to think differently on that definition. Right now, there's a pretty big debate in my field over whether the U.S. military has shifted too much towards counterinsurgency strategy while undermining its capabilities as a conventional force. Each side accuses the other of being "anti"-military.

Oh, yeah, and I'm generally against excessive immigration, though my reasoning has nothing to do with race, just ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
This will not end well. I'm sure of it. It's going to end up with me and MoviePropMaster arguing with eachother. It's going let me tell ya.
While I don't speak for MPM, I'm pretty sure he doesn't think THAT much about you. But saying stuff like this, is practically begging him to fight you. Either it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, or it suggests you actually want a fight. So lay off on it.

Last edited by MT2008; 11-25-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Oh, yeah, and I'm generally against excessive immigration, though my reasoning has nothing to do with race, just ideas.
Excessive immigration? What would excessive immigration be like?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:25 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I really would rather not have any actual debates on these matters. That is where I stand. End of story.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 PM

I'm on the right on most everything.

There essentially isn't one single thing on the left that I agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
Excessive immigration? What would excessive immigration be like?
too many immigrants
Old 11-26-2009, 01:23 AM

Well, frankly, I'm getting fed up with the Democrat vs Republican squabbles. It's one of the things that's hurting this country the most.

I support our presence in Afghanistan unconditionally no matter what the rest of the world thinks. In 2003, I was all for going into Iraq, though now I'm of the mind that we've done everything we can there and it's time to let the Iraqi government stand on their own two feet. I still, however, believe Saddam was attempting to construct nuclear weapons. I'm pro-military, and always will be, regardless of all that.

I'm divided on universal health care. I may not be fully-educated on it, but from what I do know, it has both advantages as well as disadvantages.

I bleed red, white, and blue and stand by my country no matter what the rest of the world thinks of it. I don't buy into bullshit conspiracy theories like Bush being in line with Bin Laden and find them to be ridiculous.

I'm pro-Israel, but I find their actions as of late to be extremely questionable.

I'm all for Georgia giving Russia the finger and joining NATO.

I oppose closing the detainment facilities at GitMo because... well... what's it really going to accomplish? The world will continue accusing us of torture no matter what we do.

I support private security contractors because they get a lot of undue shit for doing a dangerous job. Yeah, they get paid for doing it, but who doesn't get paid for working in this country? Does that make the mailman a "mercenary"?

I'm all for closing our borders and cutting illegal immigration off. I live in California and the place has gone bankrupt supporting Mexico.

^I think that's all the big topics currently. I've got my beliefs and opinions just like everyone else. It's amazing how even here inside the US, people get chastised for supporting the country, yet those who trash it get hailed like fucking heroes!

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-26-2009, 01:36 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Without starting too much of a debate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
In 2003, I was all for going into Iraq, though now I'm of the mind that we've done everything we can there and it's time to let the Iraqi government stand on their own two feet.
Well and done, but here's the problem: If we pull out of Iraq unilaterally, what do you think Iran is going to do? By getting rid of Saddam, we took down the only regime in the neighborhood which posed a threat to their hegemony. If we simply leave Iraq, aren't you worried that our worst enemy in the region will install a Shi'ite puppet regime loyal to them (and hostile to the U.S.)?

Leaving Iraq now would be extremely dangerous to us and our allies because it would give a huge geopolitical advantage to Iran. The Israelis don't want us to let that happen. Neither do most of the other Arabs (for all their bitching). I think I would be crazy to want to see it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I still, however, believe Saddam was attempting to construct nuclear weapons.
Even if that's the case (and most people agree it wasn't), that has nothing to do with why we went to Iraq in the first place.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Well and done, but here's the problem: If we pull out of Iraq unilaterally, what do you think Iran is going to do? By getting rid of Saddam, we took down the only regime in the neighborhood which posed a threat to their hegemony. If we simply leave Iraq, aren't you worried that our worst enemy in the region will install a Shi'ite puppet regime loyal to them (and hostile to the U.S.)?

Leaving Iraq now would be extremely dangerous to us and our allies because it would give a huge geopolitical advantage to Iran. The Israelis don't want us to let that happen. Neither do most of the other Arabs (for all their bitching). I think I would be crazy to want to see it happen.
I see what you're saying and agree. It's an argument I've made before with others. But I don't see any other way to determine if we were successful there or not but to let them try and stand on their own.

Quote:
Even if that's the case (and most people agree it wasn't), that has nothing to do with why we went to Iraq in the first place.
Well, all I know is I don't buy into the crap about "war for oil" and other similar conspiracies. But maybe I'm not as educated on the situation as I think, so, please, enlighten me.

But I can't help but think that if 9/11 hadn't happened, we wouldn't be at war over there at all today.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman

Last edited by Spartan198; 11-26-2009 at 01:57 AM.