imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 03-18-2009, 10:14 PM

Saturday night special means cheap gun. Doesn't matter what type.

Revovlers are common in PDs as a backup gun, many J frames take this place. Smith and Wesson and charter arms making some very light .38s.

And bad guys can aquire nice semiautos but only a few will, they're not rich and can't just rake out cash for one. A G17 is a status symbol for them.

As for quick reload, moon clips are actually incredibly fast if you know how to use them.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

I know cops carry snubs as back up guns but I'm talking about service revolvers. Hardly any PDs issue revolvers as the officer's main gun.

And I know moon clips are very fast (I've seen Jerry Miculek shoot), but try loading flat head wad-cutters into a revolver quickly. The flat tips make it as hard to load them as trying to load empty shells in.

SNS is commonly used to define revolvers but autos apparrently enter the class too based on the definitions at urbandictionary.com.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 PM

SWAT entry men holding the shield also use revolvers, as there were problems with an auto's lside hitiing the shield causing jams. I know there not as common as semis, but you expect to see a few.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 PM
IMFDB Admin

I've seen SWAT guys use autos with shields too. They just have to hold the shield a certain way so the slide doesn't hit the shield.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:21 PM

A criminal will use anything he can get his hands on. They don't know the difference between a two-five and a Desert Eagle 99 percent of the time, they just know that they have a gun to kill someone with if they choose to. Fuckers, the lot of 'em.

Also, according to some websites, the NYPD allows carry of a S&W Model 64 if you've been on the force for some time. If you're that old, you probably don't know how to use anything else besides a wheelgun. I believe Michigan State Police and Mass Staties allow revolvers too.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 03-18-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 AM

A lot of departments allow quality weapons if you can qualify, i've seen plenty of police without standard issue.

As for crimianls, I want to see a movie where they all have ravens and hi-points.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:13 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
A criminal will use anything he can get his hands on. They don't know the difference between a two-five and a Desert Eagle 99 percent of the time, they just know that they have a gun to kill someone with if they choose to.
That's not always true. Think about how many rappers have made references in their songs to Glocks, Desert Eagles, AK-47s, MAC-10s, Uzis, TEC-9s, etc. I'm pretty sure the young thugs and gangsta-wannabes who listen to that kind of music hear gun brand names enough in their favorite songs that they start wanting those kinds of guns. In fact, earlier today, I was listening to a Dr. Dre song where he rapped, "As long as I got a Beretta, nigga, I'm down for whateva." You can imagine how that kind of influence trickles down eventually.

Also, I live in Texas and I regularly see "gangsta"-type dudes (mostly Latinos) come into my local FFL when I'm there. Most of the time, they ask for something pretty specific - like a "Glock Fo-tay", or a "Ruger Fo-Five". A few weeks ago, while I was shooting my P226 on the range, there were some Asian thug dudes (Koreans, I think) who had rented the AR-15 and were trying it out. I remember one of them even shot some pretty decent groups, too.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:21 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
How hard is it for some gang member to take a Beretta off a dead cop or buy it from a black market sale? Berettas are common enough that some gangster with one isn't too shocking.
Remember that Steve's in California. Outside of the LAPD, there aren't that many departments that issue the Beretta 92F anymore. Glock accounts for something like 60% of the domestic LE market, SIG-Sauer takes up most of the rest.

Last edited by MT2008; 03-19-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 AM
IMFDB Admin

LAPD has I believe three authorized manufacturers that can be used for standard issue Beretta, Glock and Smith and Wesson. LAPD Metro SWAT has Kimber 1911. LA County Sheriff still has Beretta and PDs around Southern California use autos of different makes or calibers. I have worked with or met officers from Sacramento to San Diego and I have not seen a revolver used as a primary weapon on a active duty officer for years.

It's funny how this went from How BFA's work to the use of revolvers on film.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:57 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
In fact, earlier today, I was listening to a Dr. Dre song where he rapped, "As long as I got a Beretta, nigga, I'm down for whateva." You can imagine how that kind of influence trickles down eventually.
Hell you listening to him for?

Quote:
A few weeks ago, while I was shooting my P226 on the range, there were some Asian thug dudes (Koreans, I think) who had rented the AR-15 and were trying it out. I remember one of them even shot some pretty decent groups, too.
When I was at the Calicunte (spl?) gun range getting my small game liscense, two guys were trying out an AR Carbine (It was either a Colt or a Bushmaster) and they obviously had no clue how to use it. They were trying out the box of 20 .223 Wolf ammo that came free with the gun. I stood by watching, keeping to myself as they attempted to load the magazine. They tried to slide the rounds in from front to back, when the STANAG mags require that you simply snap them in. By doing what they did, they made loading the mag much harder. I corrected them on this but they had no idea what I was saying.

Then one of the guys loads the magazine in (It bugged me how he didn't slap the back of the magazine to set the bullets) and racked the charging handle. He aims, pulls the trigger, and the gun clicks. He racks the action again and I notice no dud round flies out. I walk over and ask if I can see the gun. He complies and hands it to me. First I remove the mag and set the rounds because that's how I roll. Then I loaded the magazine in, pressed it in so it was FULLY in the gun, then racked the charging handle and gave it back.

The guy could see I knew my shit and offered me some trigger time. I made the mistake of not wearing ear protection. After three rounds I heard nothing but ringing!

Then I reloaded the magazine and did it PROPERLY, which they finally realized was the correct manner. I got to shoot two more rounds and his friend got to shoot three. It was a fun gun but it is probably stuffed in a closet somewhere, still uncleaned from its last firing, since I can assume he was that type of shooter.

Quote:
Also, I live in Texas and I regularly see "gangsta"-type dudes (mostly Latinos) come into my local FFL when I'm there. Most of the time, they ask for something pretty specific - like a "Glock Fo-tay", or a "Ruger Fo-Five".
If I was the gun owner I'd tell them to leave. I would never sell guns to people who carry them to kill enemy gang members while firing them sideways (or shady individuals who fit this role). The cool concept of "Bandit shooting" in which the recoil is used to do a horizontal sweep is completely unknown to gangsters and they hold the gun sideways simply because it "looks cool."

They could use one of these: