imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 05-17-2010, 05:30 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default New Rule: you can't make tons of new pages until you finish the ones you've made.

I am seeing some new members make new pages that are perhaps 15% done (at the most) in rapid succession. What irritates me is that they don't FINISH the pages that they've already made.

I don't want to see four or five new pages a week that are only partially done. Now I have to give them a little time to finish their pages, but it's irritating to see a BUNCH Of 15% done pages and then the member makes MORE NEW pages for stuff.

I still think we should stress that ultimately we want complete and thorough pages. New users should not be making multiple new pages and only partially completing them. Again, it shows a lack of professionalism.

Thoughts? I ask for input BEFORE I put in a rule specifically stating that members who create multiple new pages should complete the ones they create first.

How hard is that? I've seen PhoenixEnt and SpeakEasy804 put up 100% done pages from the get go! There's a huge difference between the experienced member who puts in complete pages on IMFDB and the noob who puts in tons of partial (and obscure) pages.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:41 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm a bit confused. What does 15% mean?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Possibly a page without caps and text, just showing the guns that appears in the movie? Like this:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Project_I.G.I

Or this

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/1984_%28film%29

Or, even worse, pages with just text and no images.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:08 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Page listed:

- No poster or cover art (or off size / bad quality art)
-Other than the initial summary, no descriptors for the weapons usage or captions for screencaps (if any)
- Guns listed but out of every ten examples, perhaps there are screencaps outlining the use of one or two
- Guns listed but out of every ten, perhaps a third have gun images

overall the page looks really incomplete. Sure, we get a general summary of what the show is, but it looks to be less than 30% done when compared to a 100% complete IMFDB page. There are some that are more complete than that, but they fall into the same category of "The creator lost interest immediately and moved on to something else"

Sure 15% is more of a 'insult'. I am sure very few pages are only 15% complete but the intent is that people should complete their damned pages before they ride off and create four or five more in the course of a couple of days.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:50 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Seems like a good rule to me. I'm in favor of it.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Page listed:

- No poster or cover art (or off size / bad quality art)
-Other than the initial summary, no descriptors for the weapons usage or captions for screencaps (if any)
- Guns listed but out of every ten examples, perhaps there are screencaps outlining the use of one or two
- Guns listed but out of every ten, perhaps a third have gun images

overall the page looks really incomplete. Sure, we get a general summary of what the show is, but it looks to be less than 30% done when compared to a 100% complete IMFDB page. There are some that are more complete than that, but they fall into the same category of "The creator lost interest immediately and moved on to something else"

Sure 15% is more of a 'insult'. I am sure very few pages are only 15% complete but the intent is that people should complete their damned pages before they ride off and create four or five more in the course of a couple of days.
Fair enough. But is it still OK to do pages like this:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Blackjack

These pages have everything except screencaps. I do these kinds of pages whenever I watch something on TV but don't have a copy to screencap. Or, sometimes I watch a streaming version online, but the quality is so low that I'm not sure I should bother.

I figure that even if the page doesn't have screencaps, it can still be useful to our readers as long as it's in proper format and it gives them good reference for who used what gun in the movie.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:42 PM

I actually slap the "noeffort" tag on whenever I come across a page like that.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:56 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I actually slap the "noeffort" tag on whenever I come across a page like that.
Pages like the one I mentioned? Don't. It's one thing to slap the tag on pages that clearly took 2 minutes. But doing it to pages just because they lack screencaps, but otherwise follow proper format, is unnecessary. As I have said, a page without screencaps can still be useful as long as it is in the right format.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Fair enough. But is it still OK to do pages like this:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Blackjack

A page like that can be labeled as incomplete, but not no effort. No effort is when when they make a gun list, but no stock gun pics and a description of where they were used.